Bunny Blink?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buncake

Reaction score
So my Claudia is a mix, she has one blue eye -right eye- and one brown eye -left eye-. I've noticed it since the beginning when I got her two months ago and I keep checking but.. She blinks her blue eye quite often, even when it's closed it twitches.. -She does blink her other eye too but not as often or so I thin..- It doesn't seem swollen or that anything's wrong with it but she winks with it .. Why is that? Should I take her to a vet for some eye drops or something?

Last edited:
I actually noticed this a couple months ago with my harley mix: he blinks his right eye more often than his left. No twitching, though, and the "more" I noticed still wasn't that frequent, as rabbits don't need to blink often.

Others will have to chime in with more substantive information, but it's something that I've also noticed :)

I actually noticed this a couple months ago with my harley mix: he blinks his right eye more often than his left. No twitching, though, and the "more" I noticed still wasn't that frequent, as rabbits don't need to blink often.

Others will have to chime in with more substantive information, but it's something that I've also noticed :)

Yeah, it's really weird but I don't think there's anything wrong with either of her eyes.. She doesn't blink them THAT many times but it's there. Mostly when she's just waking up.

To be honest, for me, every little thing she does worries me because I care way too much about my little angel.
Thank you for commenting though. ~

Red eyed and blued eyed rabbits can have problems with their eyesight due to the reduced or lack of pigmentation in the eye. It can cause difficulties focusing, and also makes them more sensitive to light. So it could be that your buns blue eye is just more sensitive, so is resulting in the extra blinking.

This is just a guess though, but I don't think it's anything to worry about unless you start seeing redness, cloudiness, bulging eye, or a runny eye. But if you feel that eye might need extra lubrication from eye drops, I would just use a plain sterile saline eye drop used for people, like natural tears.

Red eyed and blued eyed rabbits can have problems with their eyesight due to the reduced or lack of pigmentation in the eye. It can cause difficulties focusing, and also makes them more sensitive to light. So it could be that your buns blue eye is just more sensitive, so is resulting in the extra blinking.

This is just a guess though, but I don't think it's anything to worry about unless you start seeing redness, cloudiness, bulging eye, or a runny eye. But if you feel that eye might need extra lubrication from eye drops, I would just use a plain sterile saline eye drop used for people, like natural tears.

IMG_20180622_025421.jpg

This is what it looks like. To me I don't see any redness, bulging, cloudiness or discharge in it though sometimes I notice some tiny dry eyeboggers in her tear duct that falls off when I touch it but I could be wrong. What do you think?

Dry eye crusties are normal. The eye looks fine to me. I would just chock it up to being a little more sensitive than the other eye due to the blue coloring.

Back