Bunny Biting:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita1234

Reaction score
Earlier today, I tried to pick my bunny up to clean her rear end of poop that was sticking on her, and she peed all over me! I understood that she was scared, because it was only the second time I tried to pick her up since I got her.

I sit with her everyday to bond, and I reached towards her like I normally do today and she swirled around and bit me! It wasn't very hard and it barely drew blood, but it was shocking for me because she's never done that before.

I'm planning on getting her spayed in the near future, will this make her a little less nippy and angry? I'm afraid to do something wrong now because she can really do some damage with her bunny teeth!

Rabbits don't like to be picked up. Its a natural reaction, because when a rabbit is picked up, it thinks its going to get eaten by a large predatory bird.

You *can* work with her on that, youtube how to pick up a rabbit securely and practice, and have plenty of healthy treats on hand (like a few sprigs of parsley or mint).

Spaying will definitely help though :)

I thought spaying would help. Is nipping a normal bunny thing? She's never nipped at me when I've gone to pet her. Was she just nervous about me trying to pick her up again maybe?

I'm going to start introducing parsley into her diet. Shes only three months so I can only give her a tiny bit, though.

Did her mother have greens? If not, I'd wait until she's 4 months old.

Nipping can be a hormone induced behavior. It's also a way of communication that she's not comfortable, ie you picking her up. Its not like they can talk and tell us, you know?

Latest posts

Back