Bunny biting on cage bars

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashash7

Reaction score
Hello, I recently got my bunny 5 days ago. Hehas warmed up to me since. She does binkies almost every day so I knowshe's a happy bunny. On the 3rd day he started biting at the cage, Ithink he wants out. I had only given him an hour a day to roam, andsome people were saying that was not enough. So, this morning I let himroam for 3 hours and then he went back in his cage. I put the lid on,and now he keeps biting on it's metal bars. He has plenty of cardboardto chew on, and plenty of toys and food and water. How can I make himstop chewing/biting on the metal bar and shaking the whole cage. It isvery loud when he shakes it and he is only a tiny dwarf rabbit.

our bunnies do the same thing - sometimes bitingthe cage from the inside (even w/door open) and sometimes biting fromthe outside (again even w/door open!)

Hi and Welcome!

A lot of bunnies (especially young ones) like to chew on the cage barsif they can. One thing to consider is the kind of cage he isin. Does he have enough room and things to occupy his time when he cantbe out to run free?

Have you seen the NIC condos that a lot of rabbit owners build? I wishI wouldve known about them sooner bc they are soo much cheaper andnicer than store bought. Also, the wire grids are close together so itsharder for a bunny to give his teeth on it. I know how annoying thechewing can be (especially if he does it at night).

Heres a link with some examples:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=1

For now, as you said, giving him other things to chew on will help.Sometimes, if I would catch my bun chewing on the cage I would give aloud "NO" and then place something in front of the area like a strawmat or flattened cardboard box to let him know that he may chew on thatinstead.

Hope this helps!

sounds like you've got a super active bunny that loves to come out and play!!! :D

i'd say divert his attentions while he is in the cage by providing MOREtoys, such as phone book, willow ball, willow basket etc.

when my bun does that, he usually desires for attention, so i will rubhim on his head/nose and he will calm down. so you may trythat too.

BunBun used to do that his whole life, up tilthe end. I think they like to wear their teeth on thebars. I don't think even telling them no will discourageit. I just got used to it.

Pebbles will biteon the bars, if itis blocking her passage toanother room. I justblock her view with somecardboard against the bars soshe thinks its a wall and stopsbiting.

Rainbows! :)

Cocoa usually bites his cage bars atnight. He does have plenty of other things to chew on, but Iguess sometimes he just feels like chewing the bars.

Max chews on the bars and has since she was a baby. She did it on her first cage

and now that shes got the NIC she still chews on it, like snuffles said i think she likes

it. Maybe the cool feeling of the bars, as to how to stop it i wish ihad the answer but she stills does it. Good luck, and welcome

Misty will chew cage bars when she is in thecage, and then when I let her out, she will chew the cage barstoget back in. If the door is open, she will sit inthe cage, and chew the bars anyway... I haven't been able to stop her,so I just live with the gnawing.

:cool:

Annie does this too lol. Tho it's not loud, I barely hear it. She even licks it. Up and down it's so funny. Like it tastes good.

Latest posts

Back