bunny bite - help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamafern

Reaction score
north vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
my sweet baby was eating a muffin then decidedto visit buns who were hopping around. she put her hand out like shealways does and the new bun chomped her thumb, top andbottom! i think bun thought she was something yummy to eat!
its pretty well stopped bleeding, but i dont know if i should take her for a tetnus shot..anyone know?

I would suggest just cleaing the wound andbandaging it. I have been bitten by my bunnies and no harm has come ofit. Tetnus is causedby a soil dwelling bacteria that getsinto deep puncture wounds,Idoubtit wouldsurvivelong in your bunny's mouth. But, if shehasn't had a tetnus shot yet, it may be a good time anyway, give yourdoctor a call. Tetnus shots last about 10 years.

Re. hands that smell like food: yep, bunnies will chomp on them. (So would I, if I were a rabbit!)

I've had a few good bites, and I just clean it out and maybe put some polysporin (or some other antiboitic cream) on.

Then lots of kisses to make it feel better!

Baxter actually got me the other day. He gets so excited whenyou hand out treats that he loses all his inhabitions and will chompdown on anything. You have to give him bigger pieces so hedoesn't take your finger with it.

--Dawn

Yeah, what aurora said!

Once, when I had BunBun, we actually had people over and my husband wassitting in the computer chair I'm sitting in now, and was eating potatochips, knowing full well that BunBun loved them, put his handdown to him and chomp! He was bleeding so bad (can't standthe sight of blood) just sat there and let it drip on thecarpet. Poor Bundo didn't realize he hurt daddy. Ofcourse we didn't punish him!:D

Just be cautious guys! Bunnies love what they love!

Ditto on the bite thing...Pumpkin was angry thatI was grooming her, I got distracted and whammo! Cleaned outthe wound, and used polysporin for a couple of days....she's such apip!

Latest posts

Back