Bunny Behavior: Before Neutering & After Puberty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My bunny Einstein is nearly 4 months old, and he's at that age of "bunny puberty" as I like to call it. But I also know his behavior is also starting to change as well.

Before anyone mentions, I know he's approaching the age where he'll be able to get neutered, as I do plan on getting him neutered as soon as possible. I am worried, however, about how he'll be acting until then.

Some of the more notable changes to his behavior are spraying when I pick him up, a tiny bit of nipping (he generally does not bite at all), missing the litter box when he "does his business", chewing anything/everything in the living room that he can find, and he's also started to shake a lot, however I'm not sure if it's because I have fans going around (is the shaking a part of his behavior?).

The questions I have are these: have your bunnies, at around this age, done anything to change their behavior? Should I expect anything new to occur before he gets neutered? Will all this remain until he is neutered?

:banghead

Hi I have a bunny Bambi who is 1 and a bit years old and he is not neutered. He chews his litter box, his newspaper, his toys, my jeans everything except his hutch. He also sprays me when I mess with his stuff and sprays when he is out excersing and he gets frisky all the time running around me in circles and making a humph noise. Einstein will probably exhibit some frisky behaviour soon such as circling you, honking, humphing and even possibly humping you! This behaviour will most likely stay until Einstien gets neutered. He's already 4 months old so you should be able to get him fixed very soon. Once he is fixed he will stop most of these behaviours and calm down considerably as well. Hope I helped :D

The only other thing I might expect to see is the circling and honking behaviour, where they run little circles around their feet and honk at you because they like you ;)

With him missing the litterbox, is it that he's not in there at all, or is he hanging his butt over the edge? If he's hanging his butt over the edge, a slightly bigger box or one with higher sides will sort out that issue. :)

The only other thing I might expect to see is the circling and honking behaviour, where they run little circles around their feet and honk at you because they like you ;)

With him missing the litterbox, is it that he's not in there at all, or is he hanging his butt over the edge? If he's hanging his butt over the edge, a slightly bigger box or one with higher sides will sort out that issue. :)

If the circling and honking thing is true, I'll miss that! :blushan:

As for the litter box, it's decent-sized; however, occasionally he poops near his food/water dish as well. It seems like he's litter trained for the most part, because he pees in there, and sometimes poops as well, and knows where to go. Someone told me that there's a possibility of him not knowing he still has poop underneath him, because sometimes there's also poop around the litter box, which could entail he just "forgot" he had poop left in him! But again, I am not sure if hormones/puberty plays a factor in this.

Definitely that few scattered poops are a hormonal thing :) Barry does this as well. He's marking his area and possessions. His food, his litterbox, this belongs to him. Barry is possessive of his poop markings too. When I pick them up, he's bonking me away with his nose. Then as soon as I walk away, he replaces them. I find this hilarious. Barry has full run of the house and has never not once left a poop outside of his own room. He returns to his room to eat and toilet or just lounge. I hate to even have him altered, but his appointment will be soon. He'll be 5 months October 1st.

Latest posts

Back