Bunny and Food dish

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! My baby buck Bilo seems to pee on his pellets. He doesnt pee on his hay or veggies, so I tried not giving him pellets and just hay and fresh veggies. He stopped. I wonder if this is because he hates his pellets. I thought maybe it was where I had placed his food dish. I moved it and it stopped for the day, but the next day I found pee on his pellets. He sometimes will eat the pellets after he pees on them. I want to know if this is toxic to him. Has anyone else had this problem? I have always had rabbits and I never had this problem before. This is a nerw one for me. Any comments?

How many pellets are you giving at a time? The whole days worth or do you give them more than once a day?

I would give a small amount of pellets at a time, maybe 1/8 cup or less. Let him eat what he wants for about 20 min, then take them away. He will still have veggies and hay to eat during the day. Try to offer pellets 2-3 times a day. If he eats all the pellets at once, you can give more at a time.
By taking the pellets away, he can't pee on them and then eat the soiled ones, but he still gets pellets. You also won't waste pellets that he pees on

I don't have this problem, so I can't offer first hand advice.

Woah, I've never heard of this situation before! It will be interesting to see what others say. Sorry I don't have any advice :)

Is he weeing in them, or spraying on them? Are there any other rabbits in the near vicinity?

I too wonder how much you feed him. Could you maybe explain more?

It might be that you need to adjust his pellet intake. For example, you could give him as much as he wants in the evening (so allow him to eat from the bowl, and when he stops remove the bowl), and do the same in the morning. That way he wouldn't get a chance to wee on his pellets because they would only be there at eating time.

I feed him about 3 times a day. Since he is a dwarf and a baby, I give him a little less than 1/8 cup every time I feed him. He is not spraying them, definetly wee weeing on them. Since I moved his dish out of the corner he has not done it. So maybe I sloved this problem after all. I still wonder if his urine would make him sick if he did eat the pee pee pellets.

Latest posts

Back