Bunny acting strangely (Hairball?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyv

Reaction score
Hi,

Our Netherland Dwarf bunny is acting strangely tonight. He was laying down in a lot of different spots almost like he wasn't comfortable. He's not as playful as normal and when I tried to feed him broccoli (his fave) right now, he wouldn't touch it. He's been shedding a lot and there some fecal pellets that have been attached by strands of hair.
Is this behavior due to a possible blockage? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Yikes, sorry, I thought I replied to this after you posted but I didn't hit send! :shock:

It does sound like a gas attack. The best treatment is loooooooong tummy rubs, a little stress-free exercise and some hefty doses of simethicone, a gas med sold under a number of brand names.

My guys snap out of the gas attacks within 12 hours. If it goes on longer than that, he may have a gut slowdown or even a blockage. This is common during molts.

For prevention, lots of hydration -- I find a bit of juice in a crock of water will get them drinking more -- and canned pumpkin added to the diet. (They don't always like the pumpkin at first, but once they start eating it, they tend to love it, so it's always a good idea to start them on it young).

For treatment, he'll need lots of hydration (via an infusion at the vet's office if it goes on for 24 hours) and force feeding a little pumpkin and pellet 'slurry' (or a prescribed one like Critical Care) if he does go 24 hours without eating. (You can't let him go more than 24 hours without at least a bit of food, it can cause a fatal liver disease). And the tummy massage is good for this, too.

How is he doing now?

sas :clover:

This sounds like gas.

What really works great is liquid gas drops for infants . In the US a few of the brand names are Liquid Gas X for infants or Mylicon Gas drops for infants.

Read the active ingredients on the back of the package.

You don't want any active ingredient other than simethicone 20 mg.

You can give 1 cc of simethicone, give gentle tummymassages and encourage your bunny to run about and get things moving. . The 1 cc of simethicone can be given every hour X 3 doses .
Broccoli is very gasey so hold off on that for the time being.

If your rabbit has been shedding you may want to encourage more fluid intake; you can either get some liquid electolyte drink for children ( like pedialyte or generic brand) and syringe extra fluid

(like a few ccs at a time or as much as your bunny will take) . The sodium in the pedialyte will encourage the bunto drink more on her own.

You can also add alittle apple juice to a crock of water; oftentimes rabbits will drink more on their own if the water is flavored.
let us know how your rabbitdoes..

many of us have used simethicone for our rabbitswith gas with great success maybe even after one dose.
Push hay also to move the fur through the gut

Hi,

Just got back from the emergency vet. We didn't want to let it go on through the night. According to the xrays, his stomach is distended with some gas and possibly blockage. He thinks it's gastric stasis. They are keeping him over night and giving him fluids, etc.
If it is gastric stasis, what's the prognosis? We can't lose our baby!

Thanks again

If it is stasis and not an obstruction he should be OK unless their are complications.

They will give him fluids, meds in the hospital.

The vet should have reassured you a bit....

Thanks.I checked on him this morning and the doctor said that he seemed to be doing pretty good. They were able to get some fluids in him and at the time he was eating a little. However, he hadn't passed any fecal pellets yet. Crossing my fingers!

Latest posts

Back