Bunny acting strangely after move

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstiBunners

Reaction score
We just recently moved into a larger apartment at the end of July. At first Bunners was enjoying the apartment and checking out the place. We ignored that she was leaving pellets around the apartment, thinking she was just marking her new territory. We would just clean it up and either put it in her litter box to reinforce its purpose or toss it out. Now she continues to leave pellets, and she has been antisocial and hiding in the corner whenever we let her out. Is she just now feeling anxiety over the move? What else could be affecting her new behavior?

Hmmm... I don't know if this will help or not, but it's a thought. I think it's important when a bunny moves, to leave him/her in his cage for a full 48 hours. I think this helps them establish the cage/home base as their "area" their personal space. If they are allowed too much freedom too fast, then they assume ownership of it all.

So if she didn't get the chance to establish her "safe zone," her "space," then she may not feel secure (hence the corner hiding and the fearful or antisocial behavior). It would also explain why she's leaving pellets everywhere.

If this seems like it could apply to your situation, then maybe starting anew and establishing her area might be helpful.

Do you suggest that I leave her in her cage for 48ish hours to establish her area? I don't want her to feel like she's being punished since she's used to running around

I think I would do that. But, I would spoil her a bit while in there. Maybe switch out different toys throughout the time, give her some favorite veggies, try some new toys. Just find ways so that she doesn't think she's being punished.

Again, though, this is just my opinion based on what I've seen with my past & present buns. I don't think it will do harm. On rare occasion, mine are forced to spend the day in their cage. I try to be sure they have new, interesting things to keep them occupied.

if you ask me, your opinion sounds like a good one (and it's backed by some commonly accepted bunny psychology, at that) - I'd certainly give it a try!

When I first brought my bunnies home, they were stuck in their store-bought cage for a few days before I started giving them the freedom of having the cage permanently open and surrounded by a huge pen... their litter-box habits leave a lot to be desired because they're babies, but they NEVER pee outside their cage and they keep like 90% of the poop in there (the main issue I have with them is that they don't seem to distinguish between "cage" and "litterbox" - they know the difference between "cage" and "everywhere else" (including their run) though).

I've been trying out your suggestion. I swapped out some of her toys and been giving her some veggies and a couple pieces of apple (she loves them!). I did let her out for about 10 minutes because she was scratching at her cage and biting the bars. When she's in her cage, she ALWAYS uses her litter box but now she's just going all over the cage floor. It's causing her to get a poopy butt too :(

Hopefully more improvement in a day or two

Maybe try letting her out in one small area of the new place. Maybe one room, or a small play area and then gradually give her more freedom.

Alternately, could there be lingering smells from other animals from previous occupants that are freaking her out? If so, you might want to get the carpets steam cleaned.

deaners wrote:
Maybe try letting her out in one small area of the new place. Maybe one room, or a small play area and then gradually give her more freedom.

Alternately, could there be lingering smells from other animals from previous occupants that are freaking her out? If so, you might want to get the carpets steam cleaned.
Yes, good ideas both.:)

deaners wrote:
When we first moved in, it did smell strongly of cat. It's a very high chance that she's just claiming the apartment as hers now :p

Hi, Sweetpea was acting strange after the move too.

~Left her in the cage for 2 days to get use to the sounds
~Took her out and let her run..without anyone following
~For one month she left pellets everywhere and I mean everywhere.
~ The new smells were driving her nuts but the more she is out and running around and marking things as hers the better she will get.

Sweetpea still doesn't like the sound the stairs make but she knows who is coming down them now, if its someone she doesnt like she will hide.

just takes time for them to get use to a new place and smells

My boyfriend and i recently moved as well, Pikachu (our rabbit) had the same problem.
In the old house pikachu was FREE to do what ever she wanted- how ever she wanted, there was a balcony that was always open for her to go in & out as she pleased. She was a full time free range bunny, only went into the cage when we left home...
and them we moved :( to a smaller house, no balcony, the first 3 months pikachu seemed really depressed! she pooped everywhere, started chewing everything, there was no balcony for her to go on.

I figure she was not used to the new place, i had the carpet steamed, left her in the cage for 3-4 day (i know, so sad) after that, slowy she statred getting used to the new house, its been a few months later... and lets say "she run dis house" lol she does not poop any more other then in her litter, she thing the big window is a balcony lol, i think by making her stay in the cage, and steam cleaning carpets/hardfloors helped a ton.

Back