Bunny 101

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendraJ

Reaction score
Hi! I have two boy rabbits , one is two and named lincoln and another is about 9 weeks old and is named Ghost who was a rescue. They are my first rabbits and Its kind of a funny and long story how I ended up with two but I have about a zillion and one questions, especially about outdoor care and housing, and I needed some answers before the long and cold canadian winter sets in! Please help if you can

* I should probably also add that they have a hutch half of it is like a fenced area that has small wiring and then a house type thing that is waterproofed and insulated

The main ones are:
How cold is too cold for my boys? Or is there a specific temp?
Ghost has weird fur, it's like super short and almost like velvet which makes me think thats what his breed is, but only one of his sister has it too so I'm wondering if that will mean he won't be able to keep warm?
is putting tarp over the fenced area a good plan to keep snow out and obv leave breathing holes?

I'm sorry if these are really stupid questions I just don't want to risk their lives or happiness because i made a mistake in their first winter at their new home

Any question you don't know the answer to is a good question to ask.

When the water freezes in their water bowl, it's too cold. Rabbits tend to like it on the cool side, so next summer you'll want to keep them where it's below 85`f. Shade will be needed. For now, a tarp sounds like a good idea, probably pitched or slanted so snow will slide off rather than build up on top.

I'm sure it gets really cold during your winters. Your little one is still very young and I would be concerned about keeping him warm. He sounds like he could be a rex but I'm hardly an authority on breeds.

I would rather encourage you to consider housing your bunnies indoors. If you look more around on this site you will see lots of examples of how easy it is to house rabbits indoors. I consider it a great way to get to know your bunnies and be able to spend lots of time with them. You might want to consider how much time you think you'd realistically spend outside with your bunnies in the middle of winter.

Right now, as I'm typing, my bunnies are hopping around just a couple feet away from me.

So, again, you might want to reconsider where you house your rabbits. That said, however, there is a video tour of someone in the UK who has a nice set-up for an outdoor set-up. It shows how she keep out bad weather too.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXKe5tuw47A&list=UUd6pSPaouhX84B33rdAP_LA&index=7&feature=plcp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXKe5tuw47A&list=UUd6pSPaouhX84B33rdAP_LA&index=7&feature=plcp[/ame]

I keep my buns outside all year long and it is possible if all the precautions are taken. For my rabbits I have a large hutch with a tight hutch cover. I also put the hutch with the side facing my house and the back against the shed to give more insulation.

The cover protects the wind, rain, and snow from getting in the hutch. A tarp will also work fine :) You must keep your bunnies dry!! I also use a heated water bottle because rabbits drink more in the cold and they should always have access to water. They also eat more :)

It's fine if you don't use a heated water bottle, just make sure you always have water for your bun. I also use a snuggle safe heatpad when the temps fall below freezing. I put it in the little box part of the hutch under the blankets and bedding.

If all these precautions are taken your bunny should survive! I know because I have experience. If your worried about your bunnies comfort, just remember they like the cold better than the heat and you will be able to know if your bunny isn't doing good in the cold. Every rabbit is different, I know mine are pretty tough :)

The only time I take my bunnies in the garage is if there is a blizzard or the temps fall waay below zero and it's intolerable for my bunnies. But over all, if you take precautions your bunny will be fine.

Also, make sure you have your bunny outside in the fall before it gets cold so your buns can grow their winter coats :) Don't put them outside after being inside. Also in the winter it's not good to put them in a heated area after they have been outside. So if I decide it's intolerable for my buns outside I put them inside my garage that isn't heated.

I know A LOT of people on this forum are big on keeping bunnies indoors but for people like me and you that choose or maybe don't have any other option but to keep them outdoors just know, that decision is perfectly fine and buns housed outdoors are just as healthy and loved as buns housed indoors, it's just different for everybodys personal situation and I really wished more people would be open to this! :)

If you do decide to have your bunnies indoors this winter that is fine but your bunnies will be fine outdoors if you take the precautions and of course give your bunnies lots and lots of love!! :)

I hope I helped and I can answer more questions about outdoor bunnies if you would like :D

Personally, I would try to find a way to bring them indoors, but that's just me.

We have a rescue bun who was outside on a wire cage and when it got cold, he tipped over his water bowl and the lady went out to find him torn to shreds because his feet had frozen to the wire of his cage and he ears were frostbitten from where the water had been on them.

I don't know just how cold it gets where you are, but here in Calgary it can dip down to -40 and I would never want my buns out in that. But if you're going to do it, make sure the tarp is secure in case of large snowfall and be sure to provide a house stuffed with hay/straw for the buns to bed down in (Obviously somewhere where they will be dry).

The person with that bunny didn't properly care for it. I would never leave my bunny on wire in the cold and a water bottle is safer then a bowl.

I have my rabbits outside all year long, but they're in a barn, so that may make a difference. I often cover their cages with warm blankets, because hot air rises.

I am one that believes rabbits should be kept inside. Especially in climates where we live. I can imagine it's even worse in canada. When the temps get below freezing, there are even reminders on the news about animal safety outside. It's just hard for me to imagine a baby bunny, or any bunny, outside like that. Also, when it does get that cold, how are you spending time with your buns? Are you standing outside in the freezing weather just petting them through the cage? And for how long?

I know that there are functional ways to keep water from freezing and adding warmth to a cage and keeping moisture out, but there is just more of a risk keeping them outside. Much more work is involved and you are less likely to catch something happening because of them being outside your home.

Again, I would try to bring them inside if you can. There is a reason why shelters won't adopt to people planning to house them outside. It just isn't the most ideal for a bun, especially a baby.

I put a coat on and take a few steps and there I am in my backyard. I pick them up and hold them and I play with them on the ground and let them run around. They also have a large playpen outside. You can spend time with your bunnies outside and they are fine outside if you keep them warm. I could start asking you random questions about your rabbit's inside like do they ever get to see the light of day but I won't so please stop :)

It sounds like you may have a rex. They can't puff up their fur to stay warm like a normal fured bun. You will have to be extra sure they have the ability to stay warm enough.

Personally I like having my buns inside. My mini rex is a big baby and will shiver if I take him out in the stroller too later in the year. But he is also used to a warm house so that probably makes it worse. I also love to snuggle them in a warm house because I'm a big baby that doesn't like getting cold.

I say good for you for trying to think about your rabbit's well being and how to protect them. There are people who have good experiences so it is possible to have healthy rabbits outside if you can't bring them in. Good luck.

Agnesthelion: For your information, indoor rabbit housing presents its own unique set of issues. The first that comes to mind is the aroma. Rabbit dropping are not the issue, its the urine that poses the biggest problem. Cages must be cleaned on a consistent schedule, at least once a day. Problems with urine spraying can cause stains on carpets.

Rabbit need exercise. Outdoor runs are easy to create. Indoor rabbits still need exercise, which would require a rabbit safe environment. Rabbits like to dig and chew. A digging rabbit can tear up a carpet rather quickly. Chewing on wire can quickly become a fatal activity. Rabbit proofing can be much like child roofing your house.

Rabbits can be litter trained, which takes time and effort. However, that would be better than constantly picking up rabbit droppings.

Indoor housing can expose rabbits to concentrations of indoor
pollutants like dust, outgassing from building materials, and stale
air. Rabbit respiratory system are more sensitive than ours and they
are affected more quickly by indoor pollutants than we are.

Consider that your nose is a few feet in distance above the carpet.
The rabbits' nose is inches above the carpet. This can lead to
respiratory ailments.

Human housing can be too warm for rabbits, who are wearing fur coats
all the time, especially when we heat our homes in the winter.

Rabbits like to chew. Human housing can contain hazards such as
electrical cords, wood furniture with chemical finishes, plastics to
chew and splinter.

Human housing can also contain holes where an exploring rabbit can
find itself trapped.

Rabbits can be successfully raised indoors or out. Both indoor housing and outdoor house is IDEAL. Neither one is more ideal than the other.

The question is not where the rabbit will do better, but rather where you the owner will be more successful at meeting your rabbits needs. Are you willing to go out into freezing cold weather to change your rabbits water? If not, keep your rabbit indoors. Are you willing to rabbit proof your home? If not keep your rabbit outdoors. You the owner must weigh the positives and negatives of where to house your rabbit.

Next time you say something bad about outdoor housing just know it is FINE to keep rabbits outside. Rabbits outdoors are loved and cared for. I go out and play with my rabbits many times a day and give them tons of attention. They love the fall weather right now, the fresh air, sunlight, fresh grass, and of course running all around the yard. Sounds like they are perfectly fine ;) And yes raising bunnies outside is hard work and determination. Usually shelters don't raise rabbits outdoors because they don't have all the proper equipment and the time to do it but people can do things different than shelters :)

Next time you bash people raising outdoor rabbits just know that indoor housing has pros AND cons and know that the things you say can really hurt me and other people who are trying our HARDEST to raise and love our bunnies.

I love my bunnies to death just as you do :)

iLuvMyLilBuns wrote:
I put a coat on and take a few steps and there I am in my backyard. I pick them up and hold them and I play with them on the ground and let them run around. They also have a large playpen outside. You can spend time with your bunnies outside and they are fine outside if you keep them warm. I could start asking you random questions about your rabbit's inside like do they ever get to see the light of day but I won't so please stop :)
Try not be so defensive. No one is condemning you for keeping your buns outside.
KendraJ was asking qstns so we are offering indoor housing as an option. (I also included a sample outdoor setup even while encouraging indoor housing). We do prefer having our bunnies indoors but you seem to be viewing that as a personal attack on you-- it's not, so please don't take it that way. :apollo:

I was typing my post when I recv'd a phone call. I did not see your most recent post until after I finished mine and sent it.

Kylie, you seem very defensive! If you are so confident in your outdoor housing for your buns, than what does it matter what I think?

I don't believe I was "bashing" people who have outdoor rabbits. I just believe that they are better off indoors. Period. It's my opinion and I will always stand by that.

I actually live in the city you do and I would bring them inside November-February or so.
Canadian winters are often a lot colder than in the US.. so it might help to have another Canadian opinion on it.
Yes, you CAN cover the hutch and run with something, you CAN find a way to keep snow out, but it WILL be difficult to keep water from freezing and I know how easy it is for people to get frost bite here and I would NOT risk it. It's only a few months and then they'd happily be able to return to their outdoor set up.
I'd AT LEAST bring them inside during the nights when it is coldest, because -30 isn't uncommon here and I couldn't imagine leaving any animal outside in it. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I live in the UK and currently have my two baby rabbits indoors. I will make an outdoor set up for them once it gets warmer outside. I definitely spend more time with them because they are inside (in my bedroom). It is great fun to watch them and I love it when they hop onto my lap and lick my hands. I agree that indoor and outdoor set ups can be great. Hopefully mine will have both as it suits me and so gets human time for them. Best of luck with your outdoor rabbits.

I would think both environments have their pros and cons and In my opinion niether is inferior/superior. Probably should start a new thread but does anyone have both as environment? Like a rabbit door into the house or out into a yard. Could that work?

Latest posts

Back