Bunnimon is ill... I am scared.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnimon

Reaction score
(A long read, sorry. Needed to vent)
We got Bunnimon in Nov 2018. She was about 4 years old at the time. She's almost 6 now. She is sassy and sweet. She is honestly my best friend. And I am so scared and worried.

June 5th she went under one of the blankets and shed a large amount of fur(more than I have ever seen her ever do). I figured she was stress due to the fireworks going off the past few nights. The next few days up until yesterday she slowly stopped eating all and any of her food. I switched her greens for other ones she has eaten and nothing. I gave her pellets and that also didn't work. I gave her a slice of an apple and a carrot and all she did was lick them. Her behavior was normal though. She was still active. She would lay down in comfortable positions. Her poops were still about normal size and texture. I assumed it had to be a dental issue. I called her doctor and unfortunately, she was already overbooked for the week and the soonest they could see Bunnimon is on the 29th. So I went online looking for another vet. I found one that had positive reviews with bunnies. I contacted them and thankfully they were able to see Bunnimon. I don't have a car and this location was about 45 mins away. I was able to get a ride from my sister. I know the distance wasn't going to be good for Bunnimon, but what other choice did I have. We got to the vet and due to COVID, I could only drop her off. They took her in and I cried in the car. I hated that I couldn't be in the room with her. She's at a new doctors in a new place, I could only imagine how scared she was. They finally called me and they couldn't find anything wrong with her during her exam. They said she seems healthy and her teeth are fine. The vet said it might be a stomach issue. They wanted to do some Xrays and blood work. The Xrays I was fine with, the bloodwork I was nervous about because I've been told how fragile the bunny skin is. But I gave the go-ahead. 4 hours later and about $800 spent, I was called to pick up Bunnimon. I was told the doctor will call me tomorrow with the results and I was given 6 medications. SIX?!! 2 or 3 are antibiotics. 1 is laxatone, which I have given to her before. Another is probiotics. And the last is a powder mix. They also gave her some vitamins and such while she was in their care.

I am scared and worried because if the vet couldn't really find out why she's not eating and thinks its a stomach thing, will all these medications help? It's hard putting the life of someone you care so much about in the hands of stranger, even if that stranger is a professional. Its been about 15 hours since Bunnimons vet visit. Before I had to give her her medication she seemed okay. Now, she distant, in her hiddy hole. Make sense because she did not like taking the medication. BUT what has me scared? Her poops. They are a mix of either small, black and hard or gooey and black. She is also pooping a lot less. I know it could be from the stressful day she had and or the medication. She still isn't eating. She is drinking water normal... maybe a bit more than normal due to medication. I am scared guys...

I have done everything I can in my power. I have spent the little I had to my name. I am administring what I was told to do by a professional. I know only time will tell. But I am not ready for what is to come IF she doesn't get better.

Tl;dr Bunnimon stopped eating food. Behavior is normal. Took to vet. They couldnt find anything wrong. Need to give Bunnimon 6 different types of meds. Still not eating. Poops are different (maybe from stress and or meds). I AM SCARED.
20200412_142622.jpg

Try to help the gut movements with a bit of massaging the stomach and encourage hay eating. New medication can make the stomach to be a bit messed up and can cause the droppings to have different shapes.

But you will need to encourage eating, so your bunny don’t go into GI stasis. Also don’t change your bunnies diet until everything normal.

6 medications seems a bit a lot to me as well, especially since they couldn't find anything wrong with her. Even for a human, I feel like it's a lot but I know some people have taken more so unfortunately I don't know much about the medications that she was given.

Do you have some Critical Care? If she hasn't eaten in that long, I would use that and syringe feed it to her (I have the apple/banana flavor one). See if you can get her to eat hay though. Also, get some simethicone (aka baby gas drops, I use infant mylicon.) 1cc (20mg/ml suspension) can be given orally as often as every hour for 3 hours and then 1cc every 3-8 hours. I use the gas drops when I notice my rabbit hasn't pooped for some time. Another option is to soften some pellets with some water and feed that to her. You can also do tummy massages to help the gut moving.

The mixture of different poops sounds like she was stressed like you said, and I would give her some time to herself but definitely keep an eye out on her. Here's a guide that's really helped me when I needed to decipher what the poops mean: Guide to Bunny Poops

Also, if you could, I would have given one of the poop samples to the vet so they could take a look more into it.

As above, try belly massage, try to make her run, exercise, distract attention, chase her, make her forget her stress with some new stress (positive), you need her moving and eating hay, make new toys, don't look like I am so sorry look happy and put some good music on or a good movie without fireworks I mean I love Jurassic Park but my rabbits get scared of T-Rex sometimes, so something where people are talking nicely and so create good safe atmosphere around. This is solely stress I imagine, if she tolerates do some brushing, grooming, take her on your chest, I don't know not all rabbit would let you but maybe she will. just hold her belly to belly, talk to her nicely, tell her she's a pretty girl but don't be sorry, make it like you need to give her some power you need to be strong and confident so she will go confident too.

Here's video for belly massage, I do it on my lap not on a table so we can be close and feel each other.

Keep us updated, she's so very pretty girl I believe you can get through it

Small poos are because she is not eating, you can offer some different forms of hay like braid it or make some shredded, or stuff toys with it, don't change food suddenly, keep giving greens she likes, maybe as i said make her exercise, when she's moving her gut is moving too, she will feel exhausted and she will forget a bit of what impressed her so badly and she will start eating a little.

Also sometimes it works if you put a pellet into her mouth from the side, she might start chewing and maybe will remember that they test good actually and will eat a few more, then maybe will go eating some more, you just try this try that but be confident like she will.

I don't believe in medicine much tbh, I see it as after stress shock and she needs therapy first. But I can be wrong sure.

If she likes herbs and you have some fresh or dried mint would be good for her stomach, also I always have dry chamomile for tea and just sprinkle on hay and my rabbits love it, some other herbs are very good to bust mood like aroma therapy I don't know what you have at hand.

Fireworks can harm a lot, next time you expecting them shut your windows move her place from it, make some extra cosy hidey places for her so she can hide and feel safer like she was under that blanket probably, also you can have some movie on and make it a bit louder when fireworks began, my rabbits like old Peter Rabbit stories and they like David Attenborough his voice is very comforting. I have the life of plants on repeat sometimes when I have to be gone for longer.

The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends
Ep. 1 The Tale of Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny

(A long read, sorry. Needed to vent)
We got Bunnimon in Nov 2018. She was about 4 years old at the time. She's almost 6 now. She is sassy and sweet. She is honestly my best friend. And I am so scared and worried.

June 5th she went under one of the blankets and shed a large amount of fur(more than I have ever seen her ever do). I figured she was stress due to the fireworks going off the past few nights. The next few days up until yesterday she slowly stopped eating all and any of her food. I switched her greens for other ones she has eaten and nothing. I gave her pellets and that also didn't work. I gave her a slice of an apple and a carrot and all she did was lick them. Her behavior was normal though. She was still active. She would lay down in comfortable positions. Her poops were still about normal size and texture. I assumed it had to be a dental issue. I called her doctor and unfortunately, she was already overbooked for the week and the soonest they could see Bunnimon is on the 29th. So I went online looking for another vet. I found one that had positive reviews with bunnies. I contacted them and thankfully they were able to see Bunnimon. I don't have a car and this location was about 45 mins away. I was able to get a ride from my sister. I know the distance wasn't going to be good for Bunnimon, but what other choice did I have. We got to the vet and due to COVID, I could only drop her off. They took her in and I cried in the car. I hated that I couldn't be in the room with her. She's at a new doctors in a new place, I could only imagine how scared she was. They finally called me and they couldn't find anything wrong with her during her exam. They said she seems healthy and her teeth are fine. The vet said it might be a stomach issue. They wanted to do some Xrays and blood work. The Xrays I was fine with, the bloodwork I was nervous about because I've been told how fragile the bunny skin is. But I gave the go-ahead. 4 hours later and about $800 spent, I was called to pick up Bunnimon. I was told the doctor will call me tomorrow with the results and I was given 6 medications. SIX?!! 2 or 3 are antibiotics. 1 is laxatone, which I have given to her before. Another is probiotics. And the last is a powder mix. They also gave her some vitamins and such while she was in their care.

I am scared and worried because if the vet couldn't really find out why she's not eating and thinks its a stomach thing, will all these medications help? It's hard putting the life of someone you care so much about in the hands of stranger, even if that stranger is a professional. Its been about 15 hours since Bunnimons vet visit. Before I had to give her her medication she seemed okay. Now, she distant, in her hiddy hole. Make sense because she did not like taking the medication. BUT what has me scared? Her poops. They are a mix of either small, black and hard or gooey and black. She is also pooping a lot less. I know it could be from the stressful day she had and or the medication. She still isn't eating. She is drinking water normal... maybe a bit more than normal due to medication. I am scared guys...

I have done everything I can in my power. I have spent the little I had to my name. I am administring what I was told to do by a professional. I know only time will tell. But I am not ready for what is to come IF she doesn't get better.

Tl;dr Bunnimon stopped eating food. Behavior is normal. Took to vet. They couldnt find anything wrong. Need to give Bunnimon 6 different types of meds. Still not eating. Poops are different (maybe from stress and or meds). I AM SCARED.
View attachment 48631

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words, positivity and advice <3
I was a mess yesterday being very stressed and no sleep. I have slept so now I am better.

Update #1:
Now that I have given her all her meds and even looked them up, I have a better understanding of what she is taking. She's taking antibiotics, medicine for her gi tract(to help it flow), and Emeraid which is like critical care. She and I have become a bit messy on the feeding but with practice, I am getting better. I am thankful shes doesn't make a fuss during feeding and taking her medicines.

I have been able to move her around. I have given her belly rubs before and after her feeding and meds. I even put on calming music (which seems to help). I give her words of encouragement, which I don't know if it helps her but it is helping me. I can hear her stomach make sounds. Unfortunately, I haven't seen her drink water (she has a bowl). I refilled it so now I will be able to tell if she is drinking.

I am still waiting on the phone call from the vet to know the results of her X-rays and blood work. I was told yesterday that I might get the call after they are closed. *cross fingers*

I'll post another update in 24-48 hours. Thank you all for being so supportive. It has really meant a lot!

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words, positivity and advice <3
I was a mess yesterday being very stressed and no sleep. I have slept so now I am better.

Update #1:
Now that I have given her all her meds and even looked them up, I have a better understanding of what she is taking. She's taking antibiotics, medicine for her gi tract(to help it flow), and Emeraid which is like critical care. She and I have become a bit messy on the feeding but with practice, I am getting better. I am thankful shes doesn't make a fuss during feeding and taking her medicines.

I have been able to move her around. I have given her belly rubs before and after her feeding and meds. I even put on calming music (which seems to help). I give her words of encouragement, which I don't know if it helps her but it is helping me. I can hear her stomach make sounds. Unfortunately, I haven't seen her drink water (she has a bowl). I refilled it so now I will be able to tell if she is drinking.

I am still waiting on the phone call from the vet to know the results of her X-rays and blood work. I was told yesterday that I might get the call after they are closed. *cross fingers*

I'll post another update in 24-48 hours. Thank you all for being so supportive. It has really meant a lot!

Really wish I had good news, but I don't. She is getting worse. I contacted the vet and they believe its only a matter of time. Bunnimon is now wheezing and drooling... and just declining.

Even if there was a way, I have no means of transportation nor any funds. We have made her area as comfortable as possible. We are keeping her company. Giving her love and being by her side.

Once again thank you all for your advice and positivity. It really means a lot. If anyone has any helpful advice on how to go about this, please let me know.

Really wish I had good news, but I don't. She is getting worse. I contacted the vet and they believe its only a matter of time. Bunnimon is now wheezing and drooling... and just declining.

Even if there was a way, I have no means of transportation nor any funds. We have made her area as comfortable as possible. We are keeping her company. Giving her love and being by her side.

Once again thank you all for your advice and positivity. It really means a lot. If anyone has any helpful advice on how to go about this, please let me know.
Aw, that’s really sad. I don’t know if this will work for you. But it might be an option to check out a local animal charity. In my area, we have a few animal charities that offer financial aid. While I’m not sure what could be done to help, if you have any ideas, or know what could be done but don’t have the funding, it might be a nice option to check one out. Or possibly looking into putting her to sleep?
Either way, it sounds like she had a great life, and great owners who did there best with her.

That's very sad I don't have any more advice unfortunately, poor girl.

Unfortunately I don’t have any advice but my heart goes out to you and your bun. I’m so sorry. Just give her as much love as possible. She knows you did your best and that you loved her.

Last Update:

This morning between 1 am-4 am Bunnimon crossed over that rainbow bridge. Thank you all for the kind words. She was the best bunny ever. She was Queen of this house. She was loved. She was my best friend. She will be missed.

RIP Bunnimon
20190416_174557.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss. It is very hard to lose our fur babies as they become part of us, She had a great life with you and she will always live on in your memories and your heart.

I'm sorry for your loss. She looked wonderful! You did the best you could for her, so be proud of it! She'll be sure to love you even from the other side of that rainbow bridge, i still feel my lost Musti's love. Be strong and know that we'll all support you!

Back