Bunnies wont stop scraping metal!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard0600

Reaction score
It started off with Latte, she wouldn't scraping at the metal base of my floor lamp, which is now riddled with what looks like someone raking the top of a butter with a fork... she just sits there for 10-15 minutes scraping the metal with her teeth...

and now dumbo's picked up on it! and they started to do it the 4 metal legs of my coffee table! HELP! i need some kind of solution to prevent them from destroying more furniture..they've already stripped the finishing off of all my chair legs.

They have a wooden pipe thats suppose to act as a chew toy, but they seem to prefer scraping at the metal with their teeth... Any tips or home made remedies to act as some kinda prevention would be helpful... thanks

The house is pretty much rabbit proof...I've had them for 2 years and they roam freely... this is pretty much a recent development. I would really like some apple bitter spray, but all the pet stores in melbourne australia dont sell it. Probably an american product, so is there any other substitute? Lots of shops sell similar products, but for dogs and cats, it doesnt say anywhere that it would be harmful to other animals but i'm a little hesitant to try it in case it does.. It says non-toxic on the bottle so that should be fine right?

not exactly bitter apple....i dont think it even has a flavor..i just remember it said on the label that it was bitter and that its made to keep your dog/cat from biting gnawing or licking something...not sure if its safe for rabbits tho...

I tried the bitter apple stuff and it never worked for me. But hopefully you will have better luck, you won't know until you try.

Can you offer more toys and boxes for them to chew on? I know you gave an example of one toy but I didn't know if you had more then that. If not, I would get lots of toys. They have helped save my house. You can get a cardboard box and cut holes in it, paper towel rolls. There are several online sites that carry great bunny toys too. I know we have several threads here about toys and some you can make from home also. I would just search toys.

Since you said it started recently I would probably try to put something around those things or move those things so they couldn't get to them. After a few weeks I would put them back and see what happens. Hopefully they will have forgotten about it.

Good luck

Soap can work, but for difficult cases I go to Tabasco! However, my guys are almost immune to that as well. Perhaps put wood chews near where they're trying to chew on the metal and they'll chew those instead?

Latest posts

Back