Bunnies unbonded any advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus & Belle

Reaction score
Hi, I have two mini lops which I have had for 6 months and have been bonded for 5 months and this morning Gus (neutered male) started chasing and nipping Belle (spayed female).
Bonding story:
We decided on the slow bonding over a month, they lived side by side, ate, played and their pens switched once a week. Gus was always the aggressive one with him nipping her through the cage (we slowly decreased down to 1 bar after the nipping died down) Belle never fought back. Our first bonding session went well with them ignoring each other and afterwards he licked her through the bars whilst they were having playtime. The second bonding went even better with her grooming him for about a minute. The third bonding session ended up being the last bonding session (it went for two days) as they were both inseparable there was no nipping, chasing or any aggression and they were grooming each other for hours and flopping on top of each other. We did an all-nighter and they wouldn't stop zooming and binkying so, in the end, we moved them into their home. Their home is a 3-metre run connected to a metre hutch which is currently in our garage.

They were 100% fine until recently, Belle started balding on the back of her neck so we took them both to the vet. After bringing them home they seemed a bit off, but they soon warmed up again. We treated them for mites the next day and because they do groom each other so often we had to separate them where they started flopping without each other. After putting them back together they weren't sleeping with each other as much and not as much grooming which we didn't think was a big deal. Then this morning 4 days after the vet, Belle asked for a groom (which Gus normally does) and he tried to shove his head under hers, Belle then did a binky and hit Gus (not that hard) which is when he started nipping her and chasing. My sister said she saw Belle go into a submissive pose in front of Gus and he started licking her, I didn't see this as I was trying to get the carrier to separate them. They are currently in pens side by side with Gus in their home and Belle in a pen connected to it.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for moving forward. I want to try and rebond them and am not up to rehoming one. Thanks in adance.

, Belle asked for a groom (which Gus normally does) and he tried to shove his head under hers, Belle then did a binky and hit Gus (not that hard) which is when he started nipping her and chasing. My sister said she saw Belle go into a submissive pose in front of Gus and he started licking her,

When Gus was nipping and chasing her, I suspect he was upset that she wasn't grooming him. The one putting the head down is not "submissive" but is actually the one demanding to be groomed. If Gus put his head down and she ignored it, that could eventually upset him if she never seems to return the favor.

When he later agreed to lick her when she put her head down, he was doing her bidding. So that's still a positive sign that perhaps she's been forgiven for her slight.

Keep an eye on them and allow them together supervised. They should be able to re-bond.

Thanks for the advice! We are going to re-introduce them with supervision just in case anything's goes wrong. I was just a bit confused just because we assume Gus is dominant as he was always the one trying to assert it, but he grooms Belle a lot more than she does to him.

Back