Bunnies Playing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdellin

Reaction score
I have a couple of bunnies that I got from the shelter, and they are great, I love then a bunch. One is all white with red eyes (Kenya) and one is black and white (Akasha).

Anyway, I have them in an outside pen (already have a large caged rabbit in the house, Gizmo). Anyway, I had them in a pretty large pen outside built with chicken wire, with a fence down the middle to split the space. These two would sit right next to each other on opposite sides of the fence on a regular basis. The plan was to have them bond.

I recently removed the fence to let them be together, and I've been watching them to make sure they get along.They cuddle together all the time and are now in the same bunny house.

Today, I was watching them out the window and they were jumping around each other, jumping on each other and trying to hump each other. Then Akasha would run around and Kenya would chase her. Keep in mind, one is male, one female, but both fixed. My husband says they're fine, but I got worried and went out to feed them to distract them. They both stopped and ate, then Kenya tried to start up the "playing?" again, but Akasha didn't want to.

So now they are sitting around grooming themselves, I have seen them groom each other as well, but they seem fine now.

Were they playing? I don't know how bunnies play. I did research and got advice from the bunny placement lady at the shelter on bonding them, but I just want to make sure they are playing and not fighting.

IF there's no nipping, it's not fighting. It's pretty clear when bunnies are upset with each other. One will be aggressive, looking ready to pounce, and the other may be huddled in a corner, scared to move. As you start to introduce them, give them some time apart so that they don't get too upset and tired of each other. Sounds like Akasha could use a rest from Kenya's humping behavior (which is used to impose dominance on another rabbit). Sitting around grooming themselves is good. If you see one getting really annoyed with the chasing and humping, it's time for a break. Distracting with food, petting, or outright separation is good.

This makes sense. I will keep an eye on them. They are resting now and after that earlier behavior, they were cuddling.

I posted pics in the photo philes forum.

Yes, they are neutered and spayed. They are getting along so well now. You can see that they love each other.

This is really cool: Kenya is very tame, he runs over to get attention when I go out there. Akasha has always been really afraid. I've never pushed myself on her, I would just carefully pet the top of her head when I feed her. If she moved away, I left her alone. However.... Kenya ran over to get his attention the other day, and Akasha followed right behind him. She sat there and let me really pet her!!! I think she's feeling safe now and realizing that petting is good!

Muffin acted just like Akasha for a few months after we first got her home. She had been in a bad situation. It's so nice when bunnies finally begin to trust you, isn't it? :D

Oh Yes it is!!!! She's sitting and letting me pet her while she eats now.

Also, my Gizmo, who is my house bunny, actually jumps up on the couch to get me to pet him now. I got him from a shelter about 4 months ago or so and he would run around the room, but always take off if I tried to pet him. Now he comes to me for attention. So happy.

I love the pics of all the people on the site with their bunnies right up next to their faces. Shows bunny trust. I finally have that now with Gizmo. That's been my dream!!!

Latest posts

Back