Bunnies loving fresh basil!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj82

Reaction score
I got some fresh basil on offer at Tesco! The bunnies seem to adore it! I didn't give too much just a bit each and a couple of carrot sticks!

Mine adore basil, you should think about growing it, it does really well in pots. I´ve started doing that as it doesn´t last very long and you can´t refrigerate as it goes an awful brown colour. If you´ve got a garden, you should start a herb garden then you´ve got fresh all the time. You should try other herbs, mine have dill every day as they love it but they also like sage, rosemary, tarragon and parsley. Most bunnies go mad for coriander although mine aren´t that keen on it. A bit at a time to start to see how they go but they are really good for the buns.

Oh yea, mine love basil too. I give them some when I make pesto, but it's kind of expensive to just buy for them. I'm thinking about growing it in pots this summer along with some edible flowers like nasturtium.

I love finding new foods for my bun to eat! Just recently found that he loves cilantro, and I like giving it to him because I like the smell of it. I will have to try basil.

I have a lavender plant as well which the love. The great thing about most herbs is that the can eat the flowers as well. My friend lives in the country and has a massive garden with loads of big pots of herbs and when she came down on Saturday, she brought a lot of basil with the flowers on...they ate every little bit :)

I have agood sized garden so will grow a herb garden for them and my cooking!

So true, fresh herbs in cooking are so much better then dried.

I've got two parsley plants, one mint plant and a medium sized rosemary plant that looks like a small tree that is in the back yard that I feed to the girls. They love it and Cilantro and Thyme also!

vanessa

I grow a herb garden in pots just for Bandit (he uses way more of it than I do). I also grow fresh silverbeet and various lettuce varieties for him to eat. He loves it, and I love it because it's so much cheaper than buying them and having them go to waste if they spoil in the fridge before you can use it all :)

Unfortunately my pots aren't very big and I don't have a lot of room for massive ones for bigger herb plants, but it's definitely something I aim for when we have a house of our own other than a rental :)

Becs I agree that's why I get the plants as it stays fresh so much longer. Have just bought a big rosemary plant yet and a smaller parsley plant. Make them work to get the food, mine have to stretch up to reach the top leaves, just love watching them do that.

That's such a nice idea! I loved having my buns free running in the garden today, they loved it

Oh my goodness, Stache LOVED cilantro. Parsley was another favorite of his. I tried dill but he turned his nose up at that. He was such a little snub bun. <3

So far, romaine, kale, cilantro, collard greens, and parsley have gone over well for me. Mine hasn't denied anything.... yet.

Aubrey, can't believe he didn't like dill, mine love it, not keen on cilantro though.

Twigs also LOVES Cilantro. I haven't really tried anything else yet except parsley which he also likes but not as much as cilantro. We should try some other herbs as well. Maybe try them once before committing to growing them.

Oh yea, mine love basil too. I give them some when I make pesto, but it's kind of expensive to just buy for them. I'm thinking about growing it in pots this summer along with some edible flowers like nasturtium.

I started growing herbs in the summer before I had a bunny. I tried Gandalf with a few of them when I got him and he loves them! He really liked my pots of lavender and especially loves parsley.

Word of caution if you are growing them for you too - I ended up with no parsley left when I took Gandalf to explore outside:

image.jpg

Felix loves parsley, and I added basil leaves to his food baggies this week. He really seems to enjoy them, and they made the kale smell awesome! :D

Latest posts

Back