Bunnies in sheds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me to feel safe, I would have to use a lock. It probably depends on how many people live around you, but I've heard too many stories of things accidentally coming unlatched, people getting into hutches or sheds, etc. It might be a bit of a pain but you never know when some weirdo is gonna move in and see your rabbit shed as an invitation to cause trouble, or when some stray dogs or clever raccoons (do you have those in the UK? They can open latches and will nibble at bunny toes.) come through the neighborhood. We even have a bunny at the shelter who's clever enough to open up her own cage, and they're not that easy.

I would probably do a combination lock. I just wouldn't trust that some random person wouldn't walk by and decide to go in and see what they could find.

I just have a regular key lock on my shed. The handle turns down, so you have to turn it up to open the door. To lock it, you just use a key. From the inside, if it was locked, there would be absolutely no way out.

I don't lock my shed...not unless I have a reason to. I have locked it in the past, and sometimes when I have family over, I will lock it.

We are moving this summer and will be renting a house, and in that case, the shed will be locked at all times when I'm not home, as well as during the night, and possibly just all day, as well. (not sure how it will work when it's hot out, cause I can't leave the doors shut, but I'll figure something out).

Emily

Thanks for replies ,our garden backs onto a nature reserve more a dog walking park and you can see in our garden as we have two levels,the back wall is prob 8/9 ft high but 4 ft on are side,so quite a drop dwn to park level but could be climbed if someone was desperate to get into garden having said that if our spaniel`s out he`ll bark at anyone going past so a good detarent when out there,at moment the buns are in chicken coop type hutch /run on patio right next to hse but for winter i want to put the in the shed on lower level of garden but next to utility room.prob was to shed windows face into the utility room wall so bad light levels,Last weekend i jigsawed out 3 windows( quite high so roof rain water falls past windows and not in)and stapled welded mesh over them the light is much better,am going to get glass cut to fit to screw over window openings for the colder months? does this sound good,i was worried about light levels but days are darker in the winter plus hubby reminded me rabbits in wild to spend time underground where is it dark LOL

Latest posts

Back