Bunnies have built a nest?????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesmiths47

Reaction score
Just cleaned out the hutch for my two bunnies, opened the night box lid to find a nice nest lined with fur!!!!!

Checked it very carefully and there was nothing inthe furor the night box, because the nightbox was wet and full of poo as usuall Icleaned it out along with the hutch now I am afraid she will build another nest tonight and I will end up with a bunny with no fur on her bum!!.

As I have mentioned before on here they are both DEFINITLY female

Is one of them having a phantom pregnancy or are they just a little bit cold on a night?????.

They are approx 6-7 months old dwarf lops and we will be making an appointment with the vets to get them snipped as soon as we can now. better safe than over run with bunnies

Anybody got any answers??????

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

If they are both female and there is absolutely no way one could be pregnant...it is most like a pseudo (false) pregnancy. She will do everything except deliver babies. She will likely be quite grumpy....even maybe aggressive during this time. We allow the event to run it's course. Removing the nest will only cause her additional stress.We just try totidy up around the nest withoutany morestress than necessary. She needs her space. Try to be understanding as she deals with those raging hormones. I see you are planning on a spay soon....that will eliminate this condition as well as another I will mention.

There is a more sinister side....quite unlikely in young buns...butworth mentioning. Females are prone to endometriosis and/or uterine cancer. This is more common in unbred females over 2 years old so it should not be a major concern...but something just to keep in mind.

Randy

Just fyi:

1. Boys and girls can mate through cages - if you have other buns

2.Just because one doesn't have little boy parts showing, doesn't mean it isn't a boy. Who told you both are girls? or did you sex them? Boys can actually "tuck" their testicles and hide them to a point - Bo did that.

Thanks for the replies

In answer to your questions

ra7751 thanks for all the info , iftreacles makes another nest I will leave it and her alone, hopefully taking them to the vets and getting them both spayed at the same time will solve the problems and then maybe waffles will stop humping the stuffing out of poor treacles as well

Bo B Bunny

1. Boys and girls can mate through cages - if you have other buns

Only got the two bunnies they share the same large hutch

2.Just because one doesn't have little boy parts showing, doesn't mean it isn't a boy. Who told you both are girls? or did you sex them? Boys can actually "tuck" their testicles and hide them to a point - Bo did that.

I took them both to the vets when one of them was sick and again I had them both checked by the vet only a month ago and a friend who is very clued up on rabbits (she works with them every day) has checked them they are both girls they are sisters and I have had them from them being 4 weeks old

Thanks

Dave

A breeder friend of mine was having trouble with one particular litter - and she's been breeding for a while. So she took the whole litter in to get checked by the vet.

Well....as time went on - the vet had NONE of them correct. That's right .....none.

The breeder said she could have done that herself for free...and next time she was just going to wait a bit longer to make that decision.

Peg

thesmiths47 wrote:
I took them both to the vets when one of them was sick and again I had them both checked by the vet only a month ago and a friend who is very clued up on rabbits (she works with them every day) has checked them they are both girls they are sisters and I have had them from them being 4 weeks old

The gender fairy struck again!!! LOL!

I hope that's not the case here, but I hope they're both ok too.

Latest posts

Back