bunnies fighting ..help??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiced77

Reaction score
i have two bunnies who were littermates, and i'massuming bonded. usually they're very loving etc, but the past few daysthey're a bit 'distant' and hubby saw them running around the livingroom at each other, fur flying!! now the female is not spayedyet, she's about 6 months old. we were going to have her done about amonth ago, but the male broke his front leg and is still in acast. i guess my question is, could the fighting be from herhormones?? she pesters the male quite a bit grooming him,holding his head down to lick him etc.. usually he just hops away, buti have seem him lunge at her to scare her off when she's a bitcrazy. or could it be he's just grumpy because his leg isuncomfortable?? he's not having any problems getting around,but sometimes she tries to inspect the cast.. it's just worriesome tothink that they're fighting! they cant become 'unbonded' can they?!

What you are describing is exactly what I went through in January with my 2 bunnies.

It's not uncommon for 2 bonded bunnies to start fighting when they hitwhat we like to call the teen years. It's common for 2 rabbitsthat were bonded at a very young age (even littler mates) to startfighting when their hormones start changing. And it is possible for apair to become "unbonded".

My boys were bonded from 3 months of age until about 8 months old. Theystarted fighting like no other just out of the blue.Needlessto say, my bunnies are permanently separated now.

Others may be able to advise you as what you can try to solve this issue.

Well, your female has hormones ragingthrough her and probably doesn't appreciate your males lack ofreciprocation. Another possibility is that your male rabbit (I'massuming) went to the vet alone and came back smelling very differentand also having a strange smelling object on his foot. She may not evenrecognize him.

Don't give up on them being buddies, but they may need to be seperatedfor now, until she is spayed and his cast is off, then work onre-bonding them.

but the fighting seems to come from his side..not hers..she just seems to feel rejected :( ididnt even think about the 'teen' years though :( gotta gether in i guess and see if that helps. i thought about it again thisevening and wondered if he's grumpy because he cant get comfortablesleeping with the cast.. he looks like he does ok, but hubby noticedhim tossing and turning a bit..

Littermates normally get along fine untill about4 months or so the hormones kick in then watch out.Most young bunnieswill get along fine littermates or not before the age of 4months.bluebird

Mybunny was with his male litter mate before I took him home, at 3 monthshis litter mate plucked most of the hair off his face during the nightand so they were separated. They were best friends before that though!!Until hormones took over that is.

well, i hope it's all temporary for them at anyrate. for now again, they seem to be better. no fighting, but most ofthe time they're sort of off doing their own thing. i've seen somegrooming, which is good. if i had the room for 2 more i'd trythat so we'd have some bonding again!

Latest posts

Back