Bunnies Eating Less

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parsnipandtoffee

Reaction score
Both Parsnip and Toffee seem to be eating less food over the last couple of weeks. Normally the bowls are empty both in a morning and when I get home from work but they have both left quite a bit of food lately, could it be because it's getting warmer weather (i know I eat less in summer, probably because Idon't need as much energy to keep warm) do bunnie do the same? Should I give them less food?

Robyn

I would say keep giving them the same amounts of food. I've noticed all my animals tend to eat less when the warmer weather approaches, concentrating much more on drinking. As long as neither are showing signs of any sort of illness, I don't think it's too much to worry yourself over.:)

i agree.

my bunnies eating slowed down a couple of weeks ago, but its back to normal now.

more things you maybe want to consider is if there hay is hard, or brown. i know when my rabbits have soft green hay they eat like pigs. and if its hard browner hay they dont eat much of it

How hot is it by you? They might be feeling uncomfortable from the heat if it's over 80 F. I know mine at less when it was over 90 F. Hooray for central air this year!

I agree with everyone. We just had summer here (about a week of humid hot tempuratures, back to rain now :D) and during then, my bunnies ate less and drank more.

My rabbits go through phases of how much they'll eat. It's hard to keep track of the amounts since Noah likes to jump on the bowl and knock it over all the time. They're food is in the cage and so it gets dumped down in the potty area - in other words, wasted. But I notice sometimes they have a half a bowl left the next day. They seem fine.

naturestee wrote:
How hot is it by you? They might be feeling uncomfortable from the heat if it's over 80 F. I know mine at less when it was over 90 F. Hooray for central air this year!
It's been around 27[suP]o[/suP]C, which is around 80 F (ish I think) so yes, quite warm for us at this time of the year, also Toffee hasn't finished his casting yet so he is probably feeling a little warm. They're not eating so little that I'm majorly worried, but I thought it best to check.

Thankyou for putting my mind at rest :bunnydance:

Robyn

Latest posts

Back