bunnies and stairs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordiwes

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking into getting a townhouse that has 3 floors. We let ourbunnies roam free, so I'm curious as to whether they will do down (orup) the stairs. Do your bunnies attempt the stairs? Do they fly down ortake them cautiously?

Thanks!

I'd like to know the answer to thatmyself. We're building a bunny room that will have stairsgoing up. I need to know if I should put a door at the top ofthe stairs to avoid any problems.

Laura

Apollo and Athena used to run the Bunny 500 up and down the stairs.

This bunch now run up the stairs when it's time to come in from outside playtime.

Tina

My very first bunny was trained to run up thestairs, around the corner into the bathroom and into hiscage. We hadto keep him up their because of mymom's allergies. But if you put him anywhere near the stairs,up he'd go.

I've noticed with my rabbits that they love to climb anything, furniture, stairs, people...

Sam will go up they stairs, slowly-not in onebug stint. She is not keen on coming down them though. I think she isscared of the height and that here is not enough room for her on thestep she is to land on.:shock:

-Gillian

Some wont, some will.

Mocha and Spice (when they were bonded) used to run up and down thestairs in teh basement hallway like nuts. Then they'd come running downand if they got too much forward motion, they'd fall or miss a fewstairs. It was pretty funny and they never learned.

Pebbles will bound up the flight ofstairs in no time. But she is still timid about comingdown. It's like snakes and ladders.....she will goup 5 steps and come down one. :p

Rainbows! :D

Iszy can go down the stairs, but she can't getup them. Pristine can go up the stairs, but she's too afraidto go down. :D

Hmm.. Cookie is dying to get near the stairs butI am always afraid he'll fall down them so I stop him... maybe I willgive him some play time on the stairs, he's been eyeing them up formonths...

Floppy loves the stairs--I think he enjoys beingable to look out over the entire room. We just have to becareful when we use the stairs so we don't trip on him--he's a velcrobunny (has to follow us everywhere).

Devon won't go up the stairs, but Amber willdash up them. I don't let the bunnies go down because I'm too worriedabout them getting hurt.

the picture says it all :p

stuff005.jpg

My buns live upstairs, but when they have therun, they can do the stairs, but when they get to the bottom, theyencounter a gate. Lilly does them all the time, I think sheloves bothering the dogs at the bottom, the rest haven't reallyattempted. Sampson did the stairs, both directons at myfriend's house when we were visiting her a few months ago.

Jen

We now have the townhouse with 3 floors and my bunnies will hardly go to the edge of the stairs, let alone up or down them. oh well! don't have to worry about them i guess.

jordiwes wrote:
We now have the townhouse with 3 floors and my bunnies will hardly go to the edge of the stairs, let alone up or down them. oh well! don't have to worry about them i guess.

Give them time. Cookie was scared of the stairs for a long time - took him almost a whole year, but now he runs up them full speed. Down he's a little slower. He's a scardy bun. Misty on the other hand bunny 500's up and down my hardwood stairs like it's no big deal.

________
Nadia
& :bunnydance:Misty

I discovered early on that Raphael will readily go down the basement stairs...and he didn't take them slowly. I'd hear "clumpclumpclumpclumpclumpclumpclumpclump" at about 50 miles an hour...I thought he'd accidentally fallen down the stairs. But the second time it happened, I saw him...he literally runs down the stairs (and sounds like a freight train too, as he's very heavy on his feet). I now have to keep him well away from them, as he could damage his legs, given how fragile his joints are. Oh, and he's never attempted to go up stairs, but I think that's because it's harder for him to stand up on his hind legs than a regular rabbit. Otherwise, I'm sure he'd be flying up them too.

Depends on the bunny. Marvin won't climb, but Bowser is curious and climbed up the stairs twice already. Actually, three times, but the third time she met a doggie... and wasn't pleased AT ALL.:shock:

Tufty can hop upstairs, which seriously stresses out the guinea pig, as he follows her everywhere but is to puny to tackle the stairs. I'm sure she does it just to get away from him! However, the stairs are steep and usually she waits for me to carry her down.

Latest posts

Back