Bunnies and guinea pigs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnEsah

Reaction score
I'm watching my friends two pigs for a while. I already have a bunny so can I put the pigs and the bunny in the same cage?

No. Not a good idea for a couple reasons. One is that bunnies can be carriers of a strain of pastuerella that is a virtual death sentence to piggies. A rabbit can have it without showing any signs or symptoms. So this is one reason why piggies and rabbits should not be placed in contact with each other.
Another reason is that an accidental kick from a bunny can kill a piggy.
Also, piggies and bunnies communicate differently. They communicate with body language but it is different for each species. So a rabbit may be friendly enough to want the piggy to groom him. So bunny will lower his head to "tell" piggy this but piggy won't have a clue. This could make bunny frustrated. Or bunny might want to snuggle and the piggy won't want to. Then piggy might get frustrated at being pestered.

Well we know he doesn't have that disease because they've played together a few times.
I know that people used to give bunnies a pig as a companion before they knew how to neuter bunnies

I've read mixed things on this, and I have thought about trying to introduce my pig and rabbit for just play time (not living together). So far, I haven't personally had good luck with it. My bun gets upset because the pig always wants to cuddle and groom him, while he isn't really into that. I think it partially just depends on the personalities of the bunny and pig.

That being said, the concerns brought up by Blue Eyes are legitimate and shouldn't be dismissed. Even a dwarf bunny is a lot bigger than a guinea pig and can injure the pig without meaning to. That would be my biggest concern personally.

I've read that since they have different nutritional requirements they shouldn't be in the same cage where they could eat each other's food. I would think this mostly important with pellets but I'm not sure about hay and veggies.

I know that people used to give bunnies a pig as a companion before they knew how to neuter bunnies

They also "used to" recommend feeding certain foods that are now known to not be healthy. And they used to recommend much smaller cage sizes too. Much has since been learned about both piggies and rabbits.

All the cavy sites warn against putting pigs and rabbits together for a variety of reasons. Sophie's brought up another issue about the food too.

this is one of those case by case situations.

SOME bunnies and some guinea pigs interrelate quite nicely. Food matters not as long as you make sure you get Vitamin C into the piggie.

Some bunnies and some piggies DO NOT do well mixed together, but this isn't always the case. Case by case.

Not to mention they arne't your guinea pigs. Putting the guinea pigs in the rabbit cage could mean they all bond and you would have to break that when they go back home. That can cause emotional trouble for all involved.
Also, if something did happen, any vet bills would be on you. If you can't afford to take them to the vet becasue one gets injured or sick, just don't let them be together. If someone was pet sitting my rabbits, I sure would not want them doing anything that could compromise their health, including putting them in with another rabbit.

Putting rabbits and guinea pigs together is not something I would risk at all. Too much risk, especially for the guinea pigs. Rabbits can be bullies with other rabbits, some would just be bad with guinea pigs.

We have guinea pigs and rabbits and they all have intermingled. The rabbits for the most part ignore the cavies only giving an occasional nudge. The cavies clearly want to be friends with the rabbits, but don't seem to mind if the rabbits pay attention or not.

As far as housing goes, one of our guinea pigs resides with our Jr Doe mini rex. It is not something that is recommended, but we had to make a last resort housing decision. Brownie was brought home from a rabbit show to be buddies with Mr Squeekies. Well, that didnt work out at all as Mr Squeekies bullied Brownie. I didn't have another cage to put poor brownie in, so I put him in with SunDancer. He cuddled right up to her and she didn't mind a wink. SInce then, they have been together, but this is just a temporary situation as I expect the rabbit to start getting territorial as she matures. But for now, its working. I see them sitting side by side snuggling each other every morning and eating hay together. She has even been caught grooming him. He does he eat her pellets, but I make sure he eats most of his diet the proper guinea pig food, and he gets kale and bell pepper pieces for his Vitamin C requirements.

This being said, its not permanent situation, and I would not normally house them together. I DEFINATELY would not house someone else's cavies with your rabbit. It's not worth the risk when it comes to someone else's pets.

I told them I couldn't just put them in the cage. My reasons were cause of the risk of pig injury and dietary needs.
Just curious about if there's more than that which alone are well enough reasons

Pig injury is the biggest factor for me. My lop Clem doesn't like my guinea pig Bigby, so that's already one problem, but even aside from that Bigby has a habit of quietly approaching my bunnies from behind - right in the spot for a strong rabbit kick, if startled. Too risky for me to let them out together.

Latest posts

Back