Bunnies and Christmas Trees

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayuri

Reaction score
As I am organizing Christmas this year and have 2 wonderful new bouncy additions to the family I thought that I would ask for some advice on bunnies at Christmas

How do you deal with house rabbits and christmas trees?
Are artifical or real trees better or does it not make any difference?

We need to buy a new tree this year so Im trying to make some decisions now so I know what to budget

I have seen a very small wall hanging tree but I would love a floor standing one if possible.

I block off around the tree for Bo and now for the others. I make a nic gate, or I have kept him from that area somehow.

I've heard of people standing their trees in playpens but I think a gate xpen or something will do the job.

Not too early at all. I went xmas shopping this past weekend.:biggrin2: Since getting Thumper, I was worried about the same thing so I opted for a table top tree. It has little ornaments and a pretty star to top it off. :wink Funny how having these little buns can change your lifestyle huh?

I've heard of others blocking off the tree like Bo B Bunny mentioned. Have fun xmas shopping! :clapping:

My Christmas tree is situated so it is surrounded by hardwood floor. The bunnies won't cross "the great divide" to bother the tree. The do sit on the area rug about 3 feet away and stare at the tree.

as i life in a tiny and full apartment, we won't have a christmas tree this year. . . some of our local stores sell rosemary trees (big rosemary bushes trimmed into a christmas tree shape) i think i will get one of those. . .that way if winnie gets a little nibble, it won't hurt her to much. . .

Does pine hurt bunnies? We have a real tree and Bo has gotten under it before while we watch him.

We, too, have a small, tabletop tree, but not for rabbit-related reasons. My husband and I have always traveled out of town for the holidays, so we're not home for Christmas and we live in a two-bedroom apartment, so we don't have the space to store a huge Christmas tree 11 months out of the year. I'm looking forward to getting "real sized" one when we move next year!

I did a Google search and came up with some Web sites, if you want to take a look:
Your Bunny and the Holidays (HRS)
Holiday Hazards: Tips for a Safe Holiday Season (OREO)
Bunny-Safe Holidays (LA SPCA)

And just for fun:
Edible Christmas Trees for Rabbits

We get a live tree that is safe for the bunnies to nibble. All wires are off the floor and out of reach, no chewable ornaments where they can be reached.

Last year it worked out quite well and was really cute to watch the buns playing under the tree.

:)

Nadia

Yay for Christmas! We didn't do anything special with Cinnabun to keep him away from the tree and ornaments, except of course that we kept an eye on him when he was by the tree. He LOVED it and would run around it really fast. He liked all the presents even more and would chew on the wrapped packages. It was pretty cute. We won't be at our apartment for Christmas (Paul and I are going home to our respective families), but I'm thinking I would like to get a little Christmas tree! To keep things simple, I think I'll get a Christmas table cloth for our card table, then set a little artificial tree on top and decorate it. That way we don't need to worry about Rory eating it.

Short story about why rabbits are hazardous to christmas trees!;)

We went out the christmas before last to get our tree. I am the sort who will walk for days until I find the right tree. In fact the guy at the tree place saw me patted my hubby on the shoulder and told him to come get him when I was finished...he would wait in the house! :shock: I didn't think it took that long! OK I digress! Anyway after 2 hours or so I find the tree! Shiny halos of light all around it (it was the street light since it was now pitch dark!) It was perfect! Too tall of course but it was beautiful! Thick and round! We lugged it to the van...woke up the tree guy, loaded it up, drove very slowly to get home so it wouldn't get all flayed by the wind!

I was soooo excited! It was our adopted girls first christmas! We let Peppy and Skittles out of their hutch and showed them the huge tree! I swear their eyes almost popped out! They were binkying like mad all over the place! As I said the tree was too tall so we had to cut an extra 6 inches off before we could put it up. So we put out a tarp laid the tree down on its side and started to cut. The girls thought this would be the perfect time to investigate...so they were crawling all over the top! I had christmas carols on the radio, it was snowing great big soft flakes of snow and the house smelled like cinnamon! It was the perfect christmas! I was in heaven!:D

And then...we finished cutting looked up to tell the girls we had some bits for them to chew on and saw2 little fuzzy black bunny butts disappearing under the diningroom table WITH a greatHUGE chunk of my PERFECT TREE!:shock:NOOOOO!!!!!

The little buggers had taken the opportunity to do a little trimming of their own and removed a great huge 2 foot by 2 foot chunk of branches from the front, in the middle, at the top!! The last thing I saw by (fake) firelight was the two girls dragging off their own tree!:shock: :XThey chewed through a 3/4 inch branch which took no time at all with cooperation! Buggers!

Tony was laughing so hard he was crying...when we stood the tree up it was almost completely bald at the front at the top! It looked like someone had clipped it right out! We tried to fill it with ornaments and tinsel and garland...but there was nothing for it! That was the year the bunnies picked out the tree for us! It was the best tree ever though! It still makes us laugh...but we keep the bunnies behind the NIC gate now! Just in case!;)

Last year we had our baby boy Bummer out to help with set up(after signing a no chew waiver) we already had the tree up and we were showing him the ornaments as we hung them up so he couldbump them with his nose! He looked so excited with all the lights going! Tony was supervising the boy at the time so when I turned around and saw a pile of garland on the floor I didn't think much of it. But as I picked up an ornament it jumped towards me! I almost screamed until I noticed it had a head and floppy ears! Hubby had dressed Bummer up with a little turban of tinsel and he was trying to approve his ornaments still! LOL

I like it when the kids help us set up for Christmas! We have to watch them like hawks mind you!(and no more than 2bunnies at at time! One for each of us to watch!) But it is worth it!

We don't decorate the bottom foot of the tree with lights or glass balls...we hang gold bells all along the botttom as a cat/bunny alarm to tell us someone is potentially eating the presents...but our kids are pretty good. They don't chew stuff. They do eat the needles...but we always get the trees with the short needles and they don't get much.

This year will be Daffy's first Christmas so he and his brother (who both live in the livingroom) will be helping us decorate! It is the first time they have seen a christmas tree so it should be a ball!:D

What lovely stories; thanks so much for posting them.

We were thinking of having a real tree this year and now it looks as though I have the perfect excuse; it's safer for the rabbits LOL

jam224 wrote:
We, too, have a small, tabletop tree, but not for rabbit-related reasons. My husband and I have always traveled out of town for the holidays, so we're not home for Christmas and we live in a two-bedroom apartment, so we don't have the space to store a huge Christmas tree 11 months out of the year. I'm looking forward to getting "real sized" one when we move next year!

I did a Google search and came up with some Web sites, if you want to take a look:
Your Bunny and the Holidays (HRS)
Holiday Hazards: Tips for a Safe Holiday Season (OREO)
Bunny-Safe Holidays (LA SPCA)

And just for fun:
Edible Christmas Trees for Rabbits
The pic on the bottom of this page - from the link on the OREO site.

http://members.aol.com/Mombeanie/photogallery3.html

That's how I'd do it if I had a full size floor tree;)

Latest posts

Back