Bunnies and allergies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UberBiz

Reaction score
So, my boyfriend's mom is breeding huge furry rabbits (I'm pretty sure they're lion heads, though not sure if they are mixed or not?), and I really really want one (or two!), but I can't bring them home because my brother is highly allergic to like, just about everything (mold, dust, pollen, every pet hair you can think of, etc. etc.).

Anyway, my question is, does anyone have experience with small room sized hepa filter air purifiers? Our bedrooms are right next to each other, but the doors stay closed most of the time except for the occasional airing out. If I kept a bunny (or two), in my room and used an air purifier, would that take care of the fur/dander/whatever enough so my brother won't have a reaction?

Or does it sound like something I'd have to test to find out? Or should I not even risk it? In which case my bunny(s) would have to stay at the bf's place, which I don't really want to do since I won't be able to see them every day, and we probably won't be getting our own place for at least another year or so (hopefully sooner, but I'm not holding my breath) :(

First, is he allergic to bunnies? I have asthma and am allergic to all that you mentioned, but not to bunnies--not just my observation, but confirmed by testing by my allergist. Could you take him to where the bunnies are and see first. Hate to see a bunny taken back because of something like that.

Yes, he's definitely allergic to rabbits. He was tested for everything after we had had our old rabbit for a few years, but by then we had him too long to get rid of him, we were all attached. My bro dealt with it, allergy shots helped some, but since our Hercules had died in July, my brother's health definitely improved.

If they're huge, they aren't lionheads, who are smaller than the average rabbit.

As to your brother's allergies, if the house has individual-room baseboard heat, it might work out, but a whole-house heating system moves air from room to room even if the doors are closed. If the rabbits were going to be your brother's, he would have the right to choose a little worse health. But they'd be yours, & it wouldn't be fair of you to do that to him. Show how mature you are by being willing to wait. If your bf's mom is breeding rabbits, there will be a litter in the future that you can choose from.

I agree, I'd wait. Not quite fair to your brother, you know? There's also the hay to factor in >.

Back