Bunderground bunny tummy troubles again :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a long day....
Well we picked Freckles up from his vet at 8:30am (starting from our house at 7am), then drove up to upenn, got there about 9:45am. What wonderful vets are there! All the tests and procedures they had to do to our bun, and they were caring, gentle people. Wish I lived closer because I love them.
So it's sorta complicated what's going on with my bunny. He's been given several meds, and is full of gas. Vet thinks it's caused by overproduction of bacteria in the cecum. He was passing lots of mucous/jelly substance today. She said she thinks this has probably been going on for a while. She has recommended a hay only diet for life. I asked if he will get enough nutrition and she said yes. She said maybe when he gets straightened out we can offer small treats of greens, but carb and simple sugar may send him right back into crisis. So we've got 2 meds to give and critical care to syringe until he's eating tons of hay again. I must say when he had his last bout of gi problems, we fed just hay and water and those turned out to be the best fecal pellets he's ever had.
I know there's alot of controversy over diet in buns, but I believe this will be the best course of action for him.
So we are on our way home now, we were at the vet until 2:30pm (4.5 hrs). This poor bun is tuckered!
Thanks everybody for caring, and hopefully my bun will be back to normal ASAP! :pray:

Oh what a relief! :hug:

I'm so glad he is feeling better and you have a good plan in place. Some rabbits just can't eat other things. Freckles is so lucky to have you!

I am so glad to see your post! We were all praying for Freakles. He is a lucky little bun bun to have you :)

:pray:

I am so relieved to see your post. You've been on my mind today. It sounds like you found wonderful care for Freckles and I'm glad he's feeling better. A hay diet isn't the worst thing. I've just started exploring varieties of fresh hay that are available--timothy hay with dried herbs, meadow, orchard, afalfa (as an occasional treat), etc. It may be that you can feed a variety of hays to keep him interested.

Thank goodness your bunny is safe with you tonight. I know he's tuckered:) but grateful to be home!!!
:brownbunny:heartbeat::brownbunny

:sickbunny::pet:

Latest posts

Back