Bun not eating timothy hay.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
ok so i took care of storm for 3 months at work. i have bought so many different hays he will not eat timothy or alpha. i bought another type call orchard grass is that ok. he seems to love that.

It's ok if your bunny doesn't like Timothy hay. Orchard grass is a bit sweeter than Timmy, and pretty good on nutritional content. You could also try oat hay, which is a big favorite around here. Also, cutting back on pellets will increase hay consumption, so I only give my adult bunnies 1/8c pellets each a day. Only baby bunnies and mama bunnies need alfalfa hay--it has a lot more protein and calcium than other types.

My guy would have nothing to do with timothy hay for the longest time. He would only eat Oxbow's orchard grass. After we had our foster-rabbit, he would eat timothy hay (he got a taste for it while stealing it from the foster). He now gets a mixture of timothy hay and the orchard grass.

The brand might make the difference, too. My buns hate Kaytee brand (I do too). It's very stiff and pokey. They LOVE kleenmama's 3rd cut hay. They go nuts for that stuff! They are also partial to the Oxbow timothy. :)

PBJ wrote:
ok so i took care of storm for 3 months at work. i have bought so many different hays he will not eat timothy or alpha. i bought another type call orchard grass is that ok. he seems to love that.

My mini-rex Scone MacBunny won't eat timothy hay either. Don't worry about it. Alfalfa's not the best for him, anyway, unless he's young.

Scone loves Oxbow's orchard grass and oat hays. Brome's OK, too. He liked their Botanical Hay at first - probably because it was something different - but then he figured out that it's basically timothy, and that was that.

He was wild for Peter's Meadow Mix from Marshall Pet Products for a while, but he's gone off it for some reason. He'll be back - fickle bunny that he is.

Rabbits do have very definite tastes in hay.

Back