Bun loves cats!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alyshia

Reaction score
Hello everybody! My name is Alyshia and my bunny is Misty. She is a 1-year-old harlequin that I saved from a meat seller :( We joined rabbitsonline because she got a boo-boo on her eye that I needed advice about, but now that she's getting better I thought we should say hi! Misty is a very friendly and curious bun. She's not scared of anything other than slippery surfaces and water, so she is always excited to meet new people/animals and explore new places. She lives at college with me part-time so she gets lots of attention there, but when she's home she loves to play with my other pets. We have a small zoo in our house; cats, dogs, guinea pigs, a chinchilla, and Misty! Her favorite friends are our cats, probably because they are about the same size as her. She especially loved my own cat, Larry, but I lost him a few months ago. Now, she plays with my family's 4 other cats. The problem is that the cats aren't so crazy about Misty. They always run away from her, but Misty likes chasing after them :p If she gets them to stay still she just sniffs and boops them, although sometimes she mounts them thinking they're a rabbit, which explains why they run... She also likes one of my dogs and boops him then puts her head down and waits for him to pet her (he just sniffs her though). Does anybody else's bunnies have unusual friends?? Please share!
IMG_3504.jpg IMG_3515.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Misty is absolutely adorable! My bun also has an unusual friend, our dog! They're adorable and give each other kisses. Our dog is 5 pounds, and my bun is 3 so they are roughly the same size. I will attach a photo later as I'm in class right now :)

Rabbits seem to get along with some surprising pet mates!

My first rabbit liked our diamond dove. But our diamond dove wasn't so receptive. If bunny got too close, the dove would raise her wing slowly than thwack bunny on the nose. (No harm done since diamonds are so small.)

Our rabbits over the past years have all gotten along well with our big dogs.

A word of caution, though: guinea pigs and rabbits should not interact or be in contact with each other. Each one can be a hidden carrier of a disease that is harmful (or fatal) to the other. Since they can be a carrier with no symptoms, unless each one is vet-tested, there is no way to know if they have it.

On another side, rabbits and piggies don't speak the same language which can lead to real frustration. An inadvertent kick from a rabbit can cause serious injury. A couple years back, there was on RO member who said she disregarded the advice on this site that she should keep her piggies apart from her rabbit ("since they got along so well"). Then one day her rabbit did accidentally kick her piggie. The guinea pig got a couple broken ribs, internal injuries, and something else that I can't remember.

Alyshia, like your rabbit, mine also seems to ask our dogs for some proper grooming. One dog reacts the same as your dog and just sniffs, but the other one will take a few licks:

Back