Bun has sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NekoOtome

Reaction score
So I just examined my bunny's feet and I discovered that his back feet have what appears to be the beginnings of sore hocks, with inflammation and a bit of blood in his fur. His cage was originally wire floor, but I put in a smooth plastic board over the wires to give him something to stand on. He also has two litterboxes, one with hay and one with a paper bedding to also give him a softer option inside. I also let him come out to play on the carpet floors daily to give him further softness. I'm getting him to the vet ASAP to treat his feet, but do you guys have any advice on preventing this from happening again? I've had him in the same setup for 3 years and this is the first time I've seen this happen.

Last edited:
Having the plastic solid piece over the wire should definitely help his feet for the future, weird that it just happened out of no where good luck keeping his feet safe!! :)

Well he's had the plastic over the wires since I got him, but he hasn't had any problems before. Upon inspection I think it may be the hay box, as that is the most recent thing I've added to his cage for enrichment. He may have been soiling the hay and since it has poor absorption it likely irritated his feet despite my cleaning attempts. That's my guess at least, so for now the hay box is removed.

Back