Bun-Bun screamed - in anger.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun~Bun

Reaction score
I have a bit of a rabbit-vocal confusion my self.

Most rabbits scream when frightened or as a defence to scare off predators.

Last week, Bun-Bun went off. My dog entered to garden when Cocoa and Bun-Bun were in. My dog is relatively nice - yet he does some times like to play and chase them. And he does go in the garden some times.Well, on that day, I hear a large raspy scream. I'm thinking, "Oh no,the rabbits are REALLY fighting!!" I rush to the garden and in a flash,Chip(The dog.) burst out the gate, whith a screaming sable point behind him. He bit chip several times. Chip yelps. Bun-Bun is still yelling and still going after him. I finally caught up to the whippet mix and split it up. I first took Bun-Bun inside for any marks, and there where none. Chip only had a little bite on him. The next day, I let them sniff each other - but Bun-Bun didn't do any thing.
I've seen Bun-Bun attack the dogs before - but screaming and chasing that long?!
Maby it's becuase the wild rabbits are in heat or Chip harrassed him too much - I'm not really sure. I would expect grunting and growling -but this type of screaming was very confuzzling. Does any one have aclue why Bun acted so overly aggressive? No he is not nuetured. I do not nueture/spay my animals. But he is 5 years old, and this sudden.

Hmmmm? that does sound strange.

One thing that confuses me is "can girl bunnies be in heat??"my vet said they do, but i've read somewhere on the internet saying they don't. any expert here??

if they do go in heat, will spaying stop that? sorry i know i sound silly, but this question has lingered in my mind for a while now.

I feel like mine is permanently in heat (Goodthing shes getting fixed) I also feel like your poor bun was just FREAKED as all heck. Poor baby. Unless Bun Bun is bonded with the other one(Cocoa?) and Chip did something he didn't like to her!

Having read something earlier tonight on another forum re. the loss of a pet rabbit due to an attack by the family dog(happened in a flash, right in front of the owner), all I can say is -you've gotta supervise them when they're together. your dog might well have done something that made your bun justifiably aggressive.

I like dogs, but am not sure that I'll ever own one again, to minimize potential danger for my bun(s). It's something I just don't want to risk.

Yes, Bun-Bun is bonded whith Cocoa - though they are little tusslers. Being brothers - they will wrestle around and mount each other.
I think rabbits put out a scent. The female Cotton Tail(Sugar Momma.)usually is seen around June - she came out early April. Very possible that she smelled my potent bucks. They do put out an odor. Dunno the whole thing.

:shock: That's a pretty scary thing to happen. I think you'd better supervise them from now on, just in case. Maybe Chip tried to attack one of them? Or maybe Bun Bun saw it as a threat? I'm not sure about the screaming though ... Maybe Chip attacked them and hew as scared, but he just chased him for self defence? I don't know though, I'm pretty confused. :?

Also, I'm pretty sure that female rabbits are permanently in heat, but you'd better clarify that with one of the breeders.

Rachel.

intact females are "induced ovulators" - they ovulate when mated. Comes from being a prey species and (in the wild)needing to produce many, many offspring to better the chances of survival.

I've never understood why people speak of rabbits being "in season,"though I can see why they'd be more inclined to want to mate during the warmer months - again, better chances of survival, coming from their wild European cousins.

Latest posts

Back