Bump on Ivory's back left foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
I was playing with Ivory today, and noticed a bump on the inside of Ivory's back left leg. I don't know what it is, but I can't find anymore or anything like it anywhere else on his body. Can anyone help me? I'll try toget a picture up as soon as my dad's wife emails me the pic(s) she took.

she emailed me the pics, but im having trouble getting them into any kind of useable format. Id use my camera, but evil butt bunny chewed through the wire that connects it to the computer. (go figure). I'll keep trying. It doesnt seem to be bothering him. I dont think he notices it. It's not very hard, but it seems like its filled with some sort of liquid. It has a red scab type thing on the top of it, and it looks kinda scaley. there are some parts of it where it looks kinda yellowish. I'll see if i can get a pic up here.

**EDIT**

Lets hope this works:

DSCN0448.jpg

Looks like an abscess. I'd have a vet take a look at it ASAP. Infection can spread up the leg andcause some serious problems.

Pam

well as of last night, everything that that bump was holding had oozed out, so now its just like a dark red/brown bump with a hole in the top. We have an appointment with a vet (from this site) in about an hour and 15 (he's an hour away so we'll be leaving soon). I'll let you know what he says. Thanks for all your help!

It'll need to be properly flushed because the pus is very thick and the wound can easily re-infect. Glad to hear that you made a vet appointment :)

Pam

So we just got back from the vet (who i love....the first thing he said to me was how he had 5 years of experience here, 5 somewhere else, and he'd been working with rabbits for 11 years. He didn't want to look at Ivory until he told me some basics about rabbits, a lot of which I'll admit to not actually knowing =\), and he shaved the area around the wound, flushed it with perixide, and gave me an antibiotic for Ivory. He thinks it might just be a sore from Ivory being on his wire cage that filled with blood and puss, so I went out and got Ivory a plastic mat thing to put in his cage on top of the wire.

Wonderful news! Sounds like Ivory is on the road to recovery! The plastic mat should be very helpful.

Pam

I think the thing on Ivory's foot is coming back. I'm not sure cuz it's still not anything like how it was last week, but it looks like its becoming more like a bump, not like a regular scab. Heres how it was last week:

tn_IMG_0178.jpg

and here's it now:
tn_IMG_0206.jpg

I put some plastic in his cage, and a litterbox, so he hasn't been directly on the wire since last saturday. He's going in on Monday to get neutered, so I can prolly ask them then to take a look at it, I just don't know what to think about it.

It does look more like a bump again.:?

You should call them today and ask if they want to see him sooner or wait till Monday. That will also let them know that they'll need to expect more than a neuter on Monday too. It looks like this needs more aggressive treatment. There are several options that your vet can choose from depending on the situation. It would also be a good idea to make sure the vet takes a sample and cultures it to determine the bacteria and does a sensitivity test to make sure that the antibiotic Ivory has is the right one.

he said it was a sorehock and gave him baytril, and everyone on here is saying it's a sore hock too, they say he needs something softer than plastic to be on (i ordered grass mats for him)...the vet called today to reschedule the neuter to wednesday, so i asked her if they could take a look at it then. Is plastic a good enough layer to have in his cage over the metal? or could it cause another sore hock? it also seems like a strange place for the metal/plastic to be rubbing.

Latest posts

Back