Bum in need of Answers Plz

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kkoka1

Reaction score
Hi,
Our sweet Maybelline (age 13) was diagnosed with breast cancer last February 2017. She has been great--over a year later. 2 days ago, she started jumping funny. I thought it was just the tumors getting larger. I picked her up today and she had a HUGE dried poop ball stuck to her hoo-hoo and (after removing the ball) her anus. I had no clue because she was peeing and pooping normally--just not in her pan (again...thought jumping into it might be hurting her due to the tumors). We put her in a warm water bath which loosened it, and I was able to cut the rest off. She was getting a bit stressed, so we put her back in her cage for a bit. I still need to clean her up a bit more, but wanted to let her chill for awhile. What worries me is that when I trimmed away the ball, there were a couple of spots on her skin that looked really sore--I don't want to say staph infection, but very pink and raw. I'm sure it is from the moistness being near her skin. I called the vet--same one that said she would die within a month--and the tech said they would give her anesthesia and do a groom and cut. There is no way I am putting this girl through anesthesia. I made an appointment tomorrow at 8 am--to see if they can check those areas in case she needs an antibiotic--but I work tomorrow. I would soooooooooo rather treat this at home if it is possible because she REALLY stresses going to the vet. I saw one thread where they put neosporin on it, but I don't want her to lick this. I also saw the cornstarch trick. Any of these viable options? To complicate things, I am leaving directly after work to go out of town for hubby's birthday. My daughter will be here with her, but I don't want her to run into issues over the weekend. Any home remedies that might work so that we can avoid anesthesia or maybe wait until Monday for the vet?

I know when this happens with baby buns getting mushy poop stuck and dried over their poop hole, that some people will put a light layer of plain triple antibiotic ointment on the sore skin and it heals up fine. If there are sores that are infected, an oral antibiotic like baytril, may be needed.

I would probably try the triple antibiotic ointment and distract my bun afterwards with her daily pellets or salad, to prevent licking off right away.

The best thing you can do is keep the area dry and clean, antibiotics in the absence of a bacterial infection wont help, and the ingredients in them might just irritate the area more than just keeping it dry. If it doesn’t start to scab up THEN I would think about treatment with antibiotics.
I could be wrong, I just hate antibiotics being thrown at everything when they aren’t always necessary.

Back