Bulk hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPoet00

Reaction score
Is there any place that I can look to find a baleof timothy hay? I'm looking to get hay a bit more in bulk becauseWinston and Mabel are going through it like crazy. I use sweet meadowhay, and they go through at least a bag a week and I'm sick of going tothe pet store all the time!! Any suggestions?

I LuV MaH BuNs wrote:
we buy HUGE bags at petsmart
Yup!! We have been able to buy timothy hay in 6 pound bags. It's notexactly huge, but most of the stores only carry smaller bags. With 5buns the bag usually last about 2 weeks or so. It's Kay-Tee brand.

You guys spend more ona 6 lbsbag of hay than I do on 60 lbs of hay though!

Find out where the "horsey set" in your area goesfor their hay. Query "hay" in the Yellow Pages of the phonebook. Some horse farms, that grow their own, will sellit. Feed stores usually sell it.

I pay about $8.00-$10.00 per bale, depending upon the type of hay andwhere I am buying it from. A considerable savings over the$6.00 per 4 lb bag at the local PetSmart. Sometimes, I'll buythe PetSmart pre-packaged stuff to use while traveling because it ispacked so nicely.

Buck

Another idea is to look in the local paper's classifieds. I still see farmers trying to sell nice hay in there and for cheap.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
You guys spend more ona 6 lbsbag of haythan I do on 60 lbs of hay though!

It's kind of a storage thing, too. The 6 lb bag fits perfectly in ourbunnie room storage unit. Storing a 60 lb bale would be a bitdifficult. The garage is packed as is the storage shed. Idon't think my neighbors would appreciate a "barn raising" in ourbackyard. The other problem is locating a vendor that sells full balesof timothy. Horsey places are kind of scarce in our area. Just findingWoodyPet around here took a while.

Will it go stale or be spoiled by the end? I could break it down andfreeze it, but we would have to get a second freezer for that.

Jim

JimD wrote:
...Will it go stale or be spoiled by the end? I could breakit down and freeze it, but we would have to get a second freezer forthat.

Jim
No, as long as you keep it aerated, but dry, it should keep a longtime. I "store" mine in a plastic hay bale cover that is usedto line race tracks. It's open on the bottom, so I turn itover and put the hay bale in with the open top up, therefore, keepingit aerated, but contained within the cover.

Any police force up there that has mounted police must get their hayfrom somewhere. Got to be horses in places likeRamapo, Montvale, Wayne, Boonton, etc. Bet you can find hayin the Yellow Pages, if you look.

Buck

Buck's right, my dad built me a small hay shedfor my bunnies. It fits 6 bales in all but we normally only have 3bales of straw and 2 bales of hay in it. It keeps the moisture and miceout. We last picked up straw in 2003 and it's still fine. Hay lasts avery long time as long as it's kept dry, out of the sun,andaway from mice.

Back