Bugs won't eat much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitluvr04

Reaction score
After the unfortunate accident with the dog andthe surgery Bugs wont eat very much. Is there anything I can give her?Or any certain food. Help please.

The best thing I can suggest to you is try to get some Nutri-Cal into Bugs until his/her appitite comes back.

And Plenty Hugs and Kisses (but you knew that already)

Yes, give her anything she'll eat.When Corky wouldn't eat the vet told me give him whatever....can worryabout getting the correct diet on track once they are feeling better.If it takes just greens for now to keep her system going, then doit. Could also try mixing some oats in with the pellets tosee if that helps...anything to entice at this point.

Best of luck...please keep us posted, I hope Bugs is ok!

exactly how much is she eating?

is she drinking?

what's her favourite treat? (pipp is never too sick, stressed or full to eat banana or oats)

sometimes you have to gently insert food right in their mouths to remind them that eating is a good thing.

sas

Nutri-Cal is great. How long has itbeen since the attack? Bugs may need some time to calm downbefore he starts eating on his own. If he doesn't eat in 12hours or so of the attack and there's no poo, call your vet.He can tell you if you need to force feed and how to do itsafely. Oh, and I'm just guesstimating with the 12hours. Someone else might know more about the time frame.

good advice, Naturestee. really mustkeep a closeeye on her output. I'd say12hours is alarming and urgent,24 is critical.

what I mean by inserting foodisn't force-feeding,btw. it's just a taste to make sure Bugsrememberswhat's she's missing. sometimes the reminder doeswonders.

hope she's better soon.

SAS

Yeah, by force feeding I meant making a slurrywith pellets and such and using a syringe to squirt it down theirthroat. Definately not to be attempted without vet approval.

When Mocha was spayed, she wouldn't eat anything unless I was holding it. You could try that with Bugs.

again, give her as much as she wants of anythingshe wants. how much of it did she eat? is shepooping and peeing?

its good that she eating something, butyou're really going tohave to get liquids into her. have you been in touch with thevet? they may have to hydrate hervia a needle underher skin.

they may recommend trying to put drops of liquid on her tongue with adropper or syringe, making sure she doesn't breath it in and/or choke.

when my bunny was spayed, they said if she hadn't started eating in 24hours, to rush her back there. sure enough, she didn't eat(because of the pain and stress) untilhour23.I was just ready to leavewhen shestarted eating and pooping. <whew>

hope she's okay!

SAS

Has Bugs' appetite picked up? Moreimportantly, is she drinking an pooping? Is she still notdrinking much?She really needs tohave toget liquids in her asap. Have you called the vet?(I'm worried about her). :(

Hope all is well.

SAS

Back