Buddy's neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeyGirl

Reaction score
Well, I just got back from dropping off Buddy at the vet's to get his manhood taken away. I'm alittle nervous but I know he's in good hands. The vet seems really nice and has done numerous neuters. It's also nice that I found another exotics vet for the guinea pigs. :) Any advice for recovery would be appreciative. I'm supposed to pick him up about 4pm today. Thanks!

Just got the call from the vet and Buddy's out of surgery and doing well in recovery! That's a relief. She estimated his age to be around a year old. :)

Make sure he gets pain medication to take home! An absolute must for at least three days for a neuter. Many vets try to insist that the shot given will be enough pain medication, but it is not as rabbits metabolize very quickly and it will not last the 24 hours claimed. Oral pain medication is absolutely needed when you bring him home.

Metacam is the most common pain medication given out and is pretty much an animal version of IB-profin. Tramadol or Buphrex (sp?) are stronger narcotic pain medication and would be excellent.

Glad to here he's done with his neuter and on to recovery.

-Dawn

I'm so glad it all went well! :)

Dawn makes a good point about pain medication, if you can get some.

Try not to pick him up (or as little as possible) for a few days after the neuter. You'll need to take him back a few days later for them to check it's all healing well.
Watch his eating, but don't be worried if he doesn't have much of an appetite the day you bring him home- he may well be feeling dazed and ill from the anasthesic, and he'll be a sore little babe.
Give him some of his favourite fruit and veggies :D, lots of nose scratches, and make sure he's drinking water etc.

Jen

Buprenex is the one Dawn is talking about. The generic name is buprenorphine.

I would insist on metacam at the least, and a narcotic like tramadol or Buprenex if possible.

Well, we're home and they didn't send meds w/ me. I have an appointment w/ my other vet (for the dog's yearly checkup) tomorrow. I'm going to ask him to give me some Metacam. I've used it before w/ the guinea pigs.

Buddy seems to be acting normal but hasn't ate anything yet. I took the stool out of his cage to prevent him from jumping to the 2nd level. Well....the little snot jumped up there from the ground floor. I went ahead and put the stool back in so he didn't hurt himself.

I'll keep an eye on him. The vet seemed nice but she was busy when I picked him up. This is the first time I used her. I've known my other vet (who's seen the piggies & dog regularly) for the past 4yrs. I'm sure he'll give me some pain meds. Thanks for all the advice.

From my experience with the shelter rabbits the males usually recover quickly. They use laser at the vet here so that may be why the recovery goes smoothly.
Usually veggies will,enitice a post surgical rabbit to start nibbling.. particularly parsley.
ocassionally there could be infection in a testicular sacs so it is good to check the areas. They usually are puffy and reddened the first few days after surgery but after that they should begin to shrivel up and disappear.

Latest posts

Back