Bucks and Does housing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love4bunnies

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone keeps does beside bucks in cages?

Or would it be better to keep bucks on one side of rabbitry and does on other side?

Reason i am asking is i want to set up my rabbitry different and was wondering if anyone housed bucks next to each other or will they fight?

Also if bucks are housed next to does will they spray?:X

Thanks.

I house my rabbits buck, doe, buck, doe... But I do have one inch spacing between each cage so there is no accidental breeding between the wire. I think keeping the rabbits in rows of alternating sexes like this actually reduces the amount of spraying. And with the gap, there is no fighting. When abunch of bucks are housed near each other and can smell does, but can't see them is when I feel bucks are most likely to spray. You will always have thosedirty bucks though that spray at anything!!

I don't have a rabbitry but i have both does and bucks next to each other, and the bucks don't fight even though they are in the same cage next to the does.

I have bucks beside each other. I have a few that cannot be next to each other because they will try to fight. They do have a space between about an inch in a half. Most of my bucks get along well, the worst thing that happens is when they spray each other with pee and it can reach no matter how much space I put in between them.

I know people who have bucks on one side, does on the other. Then I know people who have buck, doe, buck, doe. It really depends on your rabbits.

I have my bucks outside in cages and my does are in stacking cages in my basement. My bucks cannot get at each other as there are solid dividers between the cages.

Basically, it is how you want to do it. Some rabbits don't like being in the front of the barn while others prefer it. Some people keep their show stock seperate from their breeders.

Sharon

Thanks all for your help.

I think i will stay with the way i have them now.Bucks on one side and does on other.

My bucks are in seperate cages about a foot from each other.

Thanks again.You all have being a big help.

Yeah,I think it depends on the buck, personally. I have some bucks I would put next to a doe, and I have a couple that would probably give themselves aheart attak in a couple of days, LOL. And there are always the ones that have to spray to feel like a man. :grumpy:

My herd bucks are kept in stackers in the brood section of the rabbitry.

The junior show bucks are kept in the show section of the rabbitry and

have a doe between them so they aren't right next to each other. I don't

have any problems with bucks spraying probably because the senior bucks

can't see each other and when they turn senior they are moved to the

stackers with solid dividers.

Roger

Back