Buck Tooth is dying :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucktooth

Reaction score
This is a depressing topic, sorry. But I think you're possibly the only people that will understand how upsetting it is. (It's just a rabbit right?) <----ugh!!!!

This morning he was just sitting hunched. He didn't move too much when I added food and maybe ate one pellet. I took him out and he didn't run around or poo, so I syringe fed him. One little dry nugget came out and that's it. I have him some metacam. There aren't really any drugs at the vets I can use on him because he's so tiny we need to have them compounded and it's Thanksgiving here in canada. He has worsened since this morning. I know he is going to die. I keep massaging his stomach and syringe feeding him a pellet slurry the dr recommended and I also gave him some of his milk replacer. I'm a coward because I didn't euthanize him. I've had him for 7 weeks and got him when he was 2 days old. I would have to wake up in the middle of the night to feed him. I was always afraid I would get trapped at work with an emergency and he would starve if I left him home, so every day he would come to work with me on the 50 minute commute there and the 50 minute commute home in a cardboard box on the front seat. Every day I expected those bunnies to die. And every day there was Bucktooth and Storm. I can't believe he's going to die at 7 weeks old. WTH!!!! I thought I was in the clear. Obviously he must have been eating less (and yes I didn't notice that but I thought it was because I was trying to switch them off of alfalfa and onto grass hay) and obviously he must have been pooing less which I didn't notice because Storm obviously poops enough for 6 rabbits....) I'm sorry for my depressing post!

&#128542;&#128542;&#128542; God bless did the vet not give you any anti gas meds ? Just stay with him so he is not on his own and comfort him &#128048;

I'm so sorry, I feel terrible for you. You did so much for him and he certainly wouldn't have had 7 weeks of comfort and love without you. How is he now, is he feeling better? Have you tried putting him back on alfalfa if that's what he's used to eating? Normally a diet change isn't recommended for bunnies this young, it could have led to a digestive upset but that doesn't mean he's dying. Don't give up on him!

I can understand not sharing with others because "he is just a rabbit." Funny, no one would say that about someone's dog or cat. I really am so sorry to hear about your poor baby. I really hope he pulls through after all.

I'm really sorry to hear he isn't doing well. Have you been giving the probiotics? I know it's hard to handraise from such a young age and then to start losing them.

Thanks for your kind words everyone, and for the links.

He is getting probiotics and he will still swallow every once in awhile. I'm trying to keep him warm. I wish I put him to sleep. He was a good bunny and doesn't deserve to suffer.

Latest posts

Back