Brushing tips?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler
Reaction score
My two lops are quite thick-furred and it seems like I have to brush them every single day to keep them from looking unkempt (or traveling around the house in a veritable cloud of sheddy fur). I use a puppy slicker brush and use the time when they're eating their pellets to work away at their backs and sides. Should I also be brushing their undersides and legs? I never thought about it before because we all know rabbits can keep themselves clean and tidy on their own. But since my buns require such frequent brushing for their backs, does it mean that they also need assistance on their legs and tums? There doesn't seem to be any matting. I just want to be sure I'm doing the most I can to keep them from that dreaded furball stasis. :hiding:

On a side note, I don't think I've ever seen lops quite as tenaciously fluffy as mine. They feel like some sort of long-haired chinchilla. I wonder if they've got some jersey wooly in them.

I'm worried about this too! I'm able to brush my rabbits head, back and sides but the belly and legs, forget it! I'm trying to get her used to it but she won't have any of it. I see all these clumps of fur on her legs and belly and it's just driving me mad! I sneakily try to pluck them out when she's not paying attention lol.

How old are they? They might still be molting into an adult coat if they're youngsters. It's great that they let you brush them while they're eating. My two favorite brushes are my furminator style brush and my zoom groom which is a rubber brush. They even seem to like the zoom groom (athough they will nibble off the rubber bristle things if given the opportunity).

I'm not sure if this helps but whenever my Satin needs a little spa treatment I can get his belly. A friend of my Dad's sells Angora wool and she taught me to set them in your lap and turn them upside down. their head can be either propped up on your stomach or resting on your legs whatever makes them the most comfortable. Though it depends if they're comfortable being on their backs and if they squirm.

They don't really like me brushing their back, they sort of shuffle irritably around the pellet bowl trying to escape the brush and I have to try and keep up! They're 5 months old, so I guess they are molting into their adult coat. There's fur everywhere.

As for bunny burritos or turning them over to brush their tummies, not for my two little devils! It's a hard enough mission keeping them still on their backs to clip their nails, I can't imagine how nuts they'd go if I dared pin them down to brushy brushy their sensitive tumtums.

They don't really like me brushing their back, they sort of shuffle irritably around the pellet bowl trying to escape the brush and I have to try and keep up! They're 5 months old, so I guess they are molting into their adult coat. There's fur everywhere.

As for bunny burritos or turning them over to brush their tummies, not for my two little devils! It's a hard enough mission keeping them still on their backs to clip their nails, I can't imagine how nuts they'd go if I dared pin them down to brushy brushy their sensitive tumtums.

Oh my gosh, my boy bunny is the same way. Thankfully, although he is wooly, the hair on his belly is somewhat short. I make sure to give him a papaya tablet every morning & night, along with a lot of hay, & so far (knock on wood), no wool block. However, if you find out a tip, I want to be the second to know - lol!

Back