Bruno's neuter thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Bruno made it through the neuter fine, but started chewing his wound soon after and that caused some problems. So I was sent home with an e-collar and some instructions. I'm just feeling quite upset and scared about it though, so thought I'd make a thread here for any questions or worries.

I am trying to leave him alone in his cage with nice clean towels, his veggies, pellets, oats and hay. He already ate all the oats I gave him as soon as I put him in his cage. I watched tv until he dozed off.

The vet showed me his wounds and they looked alright, just swollen and red. He said to expect to see a bit of blood, so hopefully it's not too bad. Should I just watch out for excessive blood, pus, excessive redness, etc? If it's fine he should be ok? The vet said to expect some bruising as well, my poor baby.

He's still sleeping, so hopefully he was just upset about being in a new place so he was chewing.. poor guy had a stressful day.

Yep, he should be just fine. It could cause more redness since he was messing with it, but generally, he should be just fine. Males don't react to a neuter anything like a female. Actually, males act almost as if nothing has happened with their activities and eating habits being so good so soon after. (I've had two males neutered)

Oh ok, thanks! He's still sleeping quietly, so hopefully I won't have to use his e-collar. That might make him more angry and less willing to eat. I'm going to spend the night and day watching t.v. to keep an eye on him to make sure that little rascal leaves his owie alone.

Hopefully it heals fast and he's back to his normal self soon!

When he wakes up he may be right back at it with the stitches if he was already, so you may want to put it on. But, if you are watching him, he should be ok.

He will be back to himself very soon!;)

Just wondering about something here....we do not use any external sutures for neuters or spays. Our buns always get surgical glue for final closeand we have never had any chewing at the incision or any other problems. I would like you guys to ask your doctors why they use sutures (or even worse....staples)....and we have never had any cause for e-collars. Just had one spayed this past Tuesday. No external sutures. She doesn't even seem to know she had surgery. No licking or chewing. And she was eating normally within hours. Like I said....just wondering.

Randy

Yeah, I'm probably going to monitor him through the night.. I really don't want to put the e-collar on him unless I have to. He had it on at the vets and the vet said he was not happy about it at all, so I'm a bit weary of putting it on him.

He's sort of awake now, I gve him a bowl of water and waved some nice wetparsley under his nose. He's now eating all the parsley I gave him, so I'll keep giving him some.

Using the collar is a tough decision.

Just remember that it only takes a few seconds to pull a stitch out.

Binkie gave us an extremely hard time pulling her stitches out after an abscess removal.

I hated to keep putting the collar onher, but she got used to it in a very short time. I just had to make sure everything was positioned so she could get to it (water food, etc.) The thing she had the hardest time with, was getting in and out of her litter pan. That and not being able to groom her diva self.

~Jim

Everything is inside, there's no external sutures. He just seemed to be chewing the wound. The vet said everything is internal, nothing external. I think it also might have been something stress related him being in a new place, but I'm just keeping an eye on him

He ate some more parsley and showed some interest in his hay. He got up and started eating his pellets too. Since he's been home he hasn't showed interest in chewing his wound and has been grooming himself a bit (his sides and back, not the area).

I'llkeep monitoring him during the night, but I get the feeling the chewing was a stress reaction to being in a new scary place.

Bruno's doing very well! He's eaten two big handfuls of parsley, oats, some pellets, nosed some hay and is resting very well. He left a cecal, hopped, turned around and ate it like he had never tasted anything better in his life! hehe. He left 24 (I counted..;)) nicely shaped dark poops in his litter box as well. Still no pee, but the parsley was drenched in water so hopefully he has enough fluids in him until he starts drinking. No tooth grinding or looking uncomfortable. He seems to be occupied with licking his foot (Maybe tastes funny from what the vet cleaned him with before the surgery) but no chewing the times I've been with him. He was licking the area, but I watched him closely and he stopped after.

Can't wait until he's fully recovered. I am so tired, but can't sleep.

I got my second good look at his testicles (or what's left of them). One seems bruised and swollen and the other seems shrunken and a pinky colour.Don't seemtoo red or sore, so looks like he's leavingthem alone!He's not chewing at them, but he is grooming them a lot now. I'm trying to minimize that in case grooming turns into chewing, but he seems ok. Hard for me to tell. Hopefully I can get clear pictures of them tomorrow just to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Still eating, pooping and peeing good. He left some cecal, so I just wiped them up and put them in front of him and he ate them up..is this normal behavior if they are too sore to reach them themselves?

Aw, bless him.

It sounds like he is doing well.

Be careful of the licking because even excessive licking can damage them, and prevent them healing as quick.

My guys were back to normal pretty much the next day, although they both had funny walks. The third day they were great.

The swelling and redness should go pretty quickly too. Badger's went within two days, and Cloud has a tiny patch of redness on his still, that's after4 days, but other than that they all look shrivelly and ok.

Bruno's back to his normal self this morning, so that's good :D.There was no blood or anythingin his cage.There was just a bit of mushy poop in his cage and litter box, but hopefully that's just from him not eating his normal amount of hay and more veggies.

He was only licking it a bit last night, but mostly just when he was grooming himself. He spilt his water bowl at 2:00, so I had to change his sheet in his cage and he seemed more than happy to have me fussing over his cage and him.. hehe.

I'll keep checking in on him, but I think it's safe to not be constantly monitoring him? I haven't seen him chew at his wound since he got home(I'm pretty sure, hard to tell when he's licking, but it's mostly his foot he's licking), he was a very good boy with it last night.

I'm also wondering how I'd check the wounds.. if he's laying flat out, I can lift his tail a bit and get an ok look, but other than that I'm not sure how I'd go about checking to see if everything is ok. He hates being handled, but is that the only way to get a good look at it?

The vet also mentioned to put a cold pack on the area if he'll allow it to help with the swelling and bruising? Is that necessary? I was thinking of just putting a frozen water bottle in by him and see how he likes that.

If you can encourage him to stand up on his back legs, by maybe holding a treat and moving it upwards, you can see them like that.

My buns didn't get anything cool on their nads after their ops and their swelling went down very quickly, I just kept them in their hutches until I was sure they were ok, then they started with minimal exercise.

I'm glad Bruse is doing well. That must be a HUUUUUUUUUGE relief :)

Oh ok, great! Thanks! I'll see about him standing up. I lifted up his tail gently and both not to irritated and not infected looking. The one on the left is still quite bruised looking and it's a bit larger than the other.. If he was biting at them, they would appear irritated I would think? That's good because they seem perfectly fine other than the bruising and a bit of the swelling.

I think I'll finally be relaxed in a few days. I'm still worried and paranoid that he's secretly chewing on them, but I think that's just my nerves. Looking good from what I can see! Way better than yesterday at the vets!

Yup, they would obviously be irritated at the very leastif they were being chewed. If they are looking better than yesterday then you are on the right road :) Presumably he is on painmeds now which is probably helping him not feel the need to chew.

I'm still on edge and mine were done on Tuesday, but mine are looking ok, and hopefully Bruno will keep improving and you won't feel the need to worry anymore. And also get a decent nights sleep :)

Bruno is doing great, hasn't seem interested in licking himself anymore, I guess he got all the nasty smelling stuff from the vets off himself! I put a frozen water bottle near him, and then he sat on it hehe! so now he's resting with the frozen water bottle under his owwie.. must feel good to him!

Hi everyone.

Bruno has quite a bit of pee on his butt, but not sure how I should clean it. I don't want the pee making the wounds infected or anything and know I should clean it, but just not sure what the best way to go without hurting him. I've been keeping his cage extra clean, so I have no clue how he is getting the pee on his butt. It's not damp or anything, just a bit yellow.He gets the occasional pee pee butt before, but I just assumed it was him spraying himself. I tried clipping off the fur and giving him a butt bath with just plain water, but he was still stained. I'm a bit ticked with the vet because I thought they would just shave the stained fur, but they gave him butt baths trying to get the stains off, which was all they were - stains. I had cleaned him up as best I could before he went to get neutered. I forgot to ask them if they could shave off the stained fur to help me keep him cleaner, but I just assumed they would shave the fur off in the neuter anyways, but they didn't. Ok, I'm rambling now so back to Bruno..

Bruno's testicles look very well. One is still bruised and both look like he hasn't had an operation at all because of the swelling, so hopefully that goes down. No signs of infection or anything.

I'm going to clean him up then take a picture of him when I take him out to get a look just to make sure everything is looking good.

I'm thinking of taking him to the vet after he heals from this to get him checked out in case he has a bladder infection or something making him urinate on himself.

Thanks

I'm glad he's doing well! I wouldn't worry about cleaning him up as long as his skin doesn't look irritated. If it's wet, soak it up with a paper towel and wipe him down with a baby wipe. It is a good idea to ask the vet about it though, I'd be concerned too. Or maybe he'll clean up a bit once his hormones decrease?

Oh ok. Yeah, his skin looks fine, it just seems like the tips are stained. It's not damp or anything and doesn't smell strongly. I held a damp cloth to the area and he flopped over and started licking my arm, so I think he enjoyed it. Then I just patted it dry with paper towel. No pee came off or anything, but just wanted to see if I could clean it up a tiny bit.

I think it might just be from spraying, because his wall behind his cageis speckled (His dream is to be an interior decorator/fashion designer ;)) from him spraying. He pees freely, no straining and no blood in his urine, so I'll just keep an eye on it and get him checked out once he's healed and ready to go see Mr. Vet again!

Latest posts

Back