Brown hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilac

Reaction score
I got a huge bale of hay from Tractor Supply, and at first it looked really good- it was green and smelled fresh and nice, and my rabbit was eating it. But after getting down further into the bale, there were more and more brown strands. I'm guessing about 1/4 of the bale is brown strands. Since there are still plenty of green strands, and the bale still smells fresh, is it still ok?
I can send a photo in a while.

I buy the same ones, and I think the main complaint is you never know quite what you're going to get. As long as there's no bugs or mold or anything like that, it's fine. My buns will eat the brown stuff, and the green stuff, and the tassley stuff from the top of the plants.

As long as your rabbit likes the hay and it's just wilted brown hay and not moldy, it's not a problem. Just annoying. Though my rabbits waste at least a 1/4 bale no matter what the hay looks like, from just peeing on it in their litter box.

That's the nature of hay. It's a growing plant, dependent on whatever the growing conditions are the year it's grown and harvested. You're not always going to have the choice of the absolute perfect bale of hay. As long as it's decent horse quality, not moldy, and the bunnies like it, that's what's important.

Back