Brothers fighting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmie

Reaction score
hey everyone. I have two brothers that are about 12-14 weeks old. One brother started humping his brother and now it has progressed to fighting! They were so lovey dovey up until then and even after fighting they laid next to each other. I now have them separated for safety. I plan on getting them both neutered as soon as their testicles drop. I’m hoping they will then “love” each other again so I can reunite them. Does anyone have any ideas on if this works all the time or only occasionally?? I hope they can be buddies again! :-(. Thank you!

Hi, if you are new to rabbits you must be shocked but this is absolutely normal, you did good that separated them and your plan is good just after neutering you'll have to wait one month at least and then slowly introduce them to each other in a neutral territory. For now it would be best if you can place them in different rooms so they can't see and smell each other, and when they are out of their cages they don't use same territory, otherwise they will be marking your carpets by peeing and pooping, well they will possibly spray walls as well, there are a few silly months ahead for you, good luck! :)

Forgot to say, please wash your hands after holding one when going to another as if they smell it they can bite :)

Hi, if you are new to rabbits you must be shocked but this is absolutely normal, you did good that separated them and your plan is good just after neutering you'll have to wait one month at least and then slowly introduce them to each other in a neutral territory. For now it would be best if you can place them in different rooms so they can't see and smell each other, and when they are out of their cages they don't use same territory, otherwise they will be marking your carpets by peeing and pooping, well they will possibly spray walls as well, there are a few silly months ahead for you, good luck! :)

I had two females before this and they never got along. Lol. But I feel so sad that two lovey brothers hate each other now. :-(. Is there a chance that they will never get along again after neutering or is that rare?

Well there is a chance that they will never bond, no one can guarantee, so easiest way for you would be to find a good home to one of them while they are still young and get a spayed female rabbit as a companion for the other brother. You can try your local rescue sites they usually have some rabbits for rehoming. But if you like challenges you can try and possibly win. Just be prepared that you will have to keep them separated from now (12 weeks as you said) until when they can be neutered (around 4-6 months) then 2 months after surgery, so until they are 6-8 months old. That's 3-5 months for you. Rabbit teens can be very mean especially males, they will spray walls and will mark territory, especially if they feel that there's another male around. But it also depends on breed and personality, I have an adopted unneutered male 7 months he shows no signs at all, some rabbits are very calm. But I have one who sprays all around, pees on me every time because he loves me and rattled his cage until damaged his teeth so I had to feed him manually. You did really good that separated them immediately so there's hope that they will not remember each other after 3-5 months and you can just introduce them to each other as completely new rabbits.

Latest posts

Back