Broken tooth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
I think Necro broke a tooth. He was chewing on the wires of the bunny cage, and the wire got stuck between his teeth, so he violently started pulling his face away from the wire. He was unable to unstick the wire from his teeth by pulling, so my boyfriend stepped in and got it out, but now one of his front teeth is cracked up by the gum, and that tooth is kind of loose. I'm not quite sure what to do in this situation. All I know is that it seems to bother him because he's playing with the loose tooth.

ETA: There was a tad bit of blood coming from his mouth as well.

You are going to have to find a vet who can do dental work on a rabbit. I would guess that the tooth will need to be cut down... possibly removed,

Leaving it the way it is now will lead to infection and a abscess

I am really sorry that this happened :(

Unfortunately these things happen... it's even more unfortunate that it had to happen during the weekend. Do you think he'll be okay until Monday, when I call the vet? I'm concerned about him not being able to eat on his own due to the loose tooth and all.

It can wait until Mon....

he should be able to eat because they do not chew with their incisors

the only reason thatI can think of that he would not eat is if he is in pain....

has he eaten anything since this happened ??

He hasn't eaten anything, and this happened over an hour ago. It also seems like he can't get comfortable, like he's in a somewhat hunched position.

I thought I'd update; It seems that Necro still hasn't eaten , or drank anything, and he's still sitting in a hunched position. Do you think it's worth syringe feeding him, and getting him hydrated? Or should we take him to the emergency clinic? To be honest, I'm a little weary of syringe feeding him because the syringe may hit the cracked, loose tooth and hurt him more, and cause him more distress, so at the moment I'm kind of at a loss as to what I should do.:?

You will need to syringe feed fuids and soft food until you get him to a vet who can do dentistry

it would be worth ittakehim to the emergency vet ;I don't know if they can do dental procedures but they can give you pain meds and referrals.

Sorry I missed this post this AM

He's actually started eating and drinking for the time being, which is the only reason I decided to hold off on bringing him to the emergency vets. It's odd because his tooth just broke off completely, and he's fine, but that doesn't mean I won't be calling his vet first thing in the morning. His teeth already grow in crooked, but my thoughts are now that one of them is broken, and will grow back in, they'll be more crooked then ever. Poor guy. Getting his teeth clipped stresses him out enough. Is it worth getting his incisors pulled?

You can cut a rabbits teeth with a pair of toenail clippers... it doesn't hurt them in the least. It sounds awful, looks painful, but its just an annoyance.

I would see if there are any local rabbit breeders who know how to trim teeth themselves. Lots cheaper then a vet. His teeth may never come in correctly, but if he's already eating he is fine.

I had to get a buck of mine's teeth trimmed a while back and while it looked as though he couldn't eat, he could and did just fine. In like 2 days you should be able to see a difference in his teeth growing back.

also if you do not have wood for him to chew on, I HIGHLY recommend you get some, and hope it helps keep him from chewing on the cage.

edit: just read you do get them trimmed. I'd keep with the trimming and not get them pulled.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
You can cut a rabbits teeth with a pair of toenail clippers... it doesn't hurt them in the least. It sounds awful, looks painful, but its just an annoyance.
I really wouldn't recommend this, personally. Their teeth should be filed with the correct equipment. It used to be okay to clip the teeth but recently it has become a little frowned upon, because it can cause quite a few problems (can, not always, but I don't think I would want to risk it).
The tremors and stress from the clipping can travel up the slight groove the middle of the tooth and cause the tooth to fracture, which can lead to quite a few problems, not to mention pain for the rabbit.

Obviously if this is the only option you have then it would have to be done, and I know some people still do it, but just for me personally I wouldn't want to risk it, and I know my vets don't clip teeth anymore due to this issue.

Jen :)

I have had to clip and file many times one of my daughters rabbits teeth as he's a wire puller. But you have to feel confident to do it (and the rabbit)
You can get he teeth removed and they cope perfectly well without them.
I gave this buck a huge lump of chalk in his cage (as well as the usual wood stuff) for him to chew on and it has certainly helped keep him occupied and his teeth are remaining in better shape.

For some reason, Necro doesn't like to chew on wood blocks, or cardboard tubes,or anything we give him. He prefers to chew on stuff he know he's not supposed to like the carpet, the base-board, furniture. :grumpy:

I've made an appointment for him even though he's eating and everything; there's also the matter he had with tummy issues that's in another post.

We usually do trimming ourselves, but it gets a little nerve-wracking because Necro does shake and he usually tries to block us with his tongue. I'm so afraid that one of these days we'll accidentally clip his tongue, and that really, really scares me. So I'll talk to his vet, and see what she thinks.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll keep you guys updated.

Debacus wrote:
I have had to clip and file many times one of my daughters rabbits teeth as he's a wire puller. But you have to feel confident to do it (and the rabbit)
You can get he teeth removed and they cope perfectly well without them.
I gave this buck a huge lump of chalk in his cage (as well as the usual wood stuff) for him to chew on and it has certainly helped keep him occupied and his teeth are remaining in better shape.
Debacus ...what do u mean by a lump of chalk???..just looking for alternatives besides the wood that they arent gnawing on..:)

chandielee im glad ur goin to the vet i hope he heals up quick!

Lump of chalk, like you might dig up out of chalky ground..lots of my buns have it in there cage, about the size of a large fist or bigger. They love to dig on it, chew it..some have such fun that they end up a ball shape from working on the piece and roll them about too.

ur link worked its a big link but it worked:)
we have NOTHING that looks like that in Arizona...ive never seen anything like it before..hm.well darnit,, u think u can send me some?....:):):)

Back