broken or not...that is the question. LOL

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
Okay, had a judge and another breeder say that they thought she was broken. Had 2 other breeders say they thought solid. It's so hard to photograph her, and always has been. But I gave it my best attempt, and here they are:

Hindquarters, showing her gorgeous ticking
301231_4638874735613_98104774_n.jpg

And here you can see the pure white fur, on the side of her chest, down through the front of her shoulder and carrying down through the leg/feet
394542_4638875775639_1879583113_n.jpg

Here you can see white from the top of her head the entire way back her shoulders to her back... and down the whole side through to her leg/foot
528061_4638877055671_898982359_n.jpg

Another across her neck/shoulders/back
304389_4638879295727_322667540_n.jpg

White splotch on her stifle, the bottom of her skirt, and down through her back leg/foot
579937_4638880775764_1769378740_n.jpg

And the same look on the right side as the left.
551730_4638881255776_227696386_n.jpg

I am by NO means a professional in this ;) but if I had to say I would say she is solid

Beautiful color, by the way!

id say solid. looking at the broken sable point in the lop color guide you can clearly see the broken pattern. I think the white spots she has is just part of the shading.

Any broken in her background?

Yes, her sire is broken. The white splotches aren't shaded at all...they're completely white, no faint ring, nothing. It's really hard to see in the pictures, but I'm going to fiddle with some settings to see if I can make it show what you see in person.

The reasons the judge said broken was the white splotches that are symmetrical to the other side (typical Flop broken thing there), absolutely NO ticking or color on the legs, all white toenails (and if she were solid, she'd have some brown one in there?), and the color for Flops for frosted pearl says: "color to be evenly colored over the entire body, except the belly". She has NO color on her chest, dewlap, legs, etc.

When he evaluated her for me, he twisted, titled, blew, flipped and just about everything but stand her on her head. LOL He also had the advantage of looking at her in natural light (unlike dark showrooms).

I don't want her to get legs as a solid (and, hopefully, a GC) only to breed her and get broken kits and have ARBA say, "Uh huh, can't happen." But I also don't want to show her in broken if she isn't broken.

Okay, these are roughly everything that's white. There's also a splotch on the very top of her back but I couldn't get a picture because it was too dark in the barn. I'm not an artist, but this at least shows where the white is...with NO color at all.

393422_4640025444380_5719255_n.jpg

424629_4640026484406_277252142_n.jpg

563134_4640027324427_2054793260_n.jpg

546056_4640027844440_524311317_n.jpg

i am not good with this sort of thing. I would say take the judges opinion. You can also pick the brains of the Rabbit Addict people :)

It is really hard to see. And she just started to molt, so I'm going to wait to get more pictures until she's done. I just wish it was obviously a solid. All it will take is one judge to question it, and then DQ her for being in a solid class when she's a broken.

Gorgeous bunny!

I've never been a good judge of broken or solid..I guess that's the reason why I'd enter my one bunny in solid one time and broken the next. :p If it were me, maybe I'd go with broken.

Usually they're easy to see. It's just the coloring itself is just ticking, making it much harder. Darn bunny...I wish she were just chocolate with either white splotches or not. LOL

Well, that's kind of how it was with my one bunny. She was a frosty but I never knew whether she was broken or solid (and that was long before I knew this forum existed where I could ask.)

wendymac wrote:
It is really hard to see. And she just started to molt, so I'm going to wait to get more pictures until she's done. I just wish it was obviously a solid. All it will take is one judge to question it, and then DQ her for being in a solid class when she's a broken.
That's the problem we have with Polish who may or may not be a charlie. I had one that was iffy. One judge would DQ him forlack of color and onewouldn't. Since he wasn't good enough to use for breedingIfound him a pet home.

Yikes! I never even thought about worrying if something was a charlie or not. I only have one broken (that we know about. LOL) and she has yet to have a litter. I'm going to show her as a solid, unless it's in-your-face-obvious that it's a broken. I'm curious to see how she molts out..maybe then it'll be obviously a broken or obviously a solid.

Any kind of "shaded" color makes it tricky. I'd say the lighter coat is probably the coat that's molted in, yes? She's an agouti, so a lot of the "white" spots are where they should be white anyway. Like the chest, bars on the feet and ears.

I'd really like to see this animal in better lighting.

Latest posts

Back