Broken Nail with Blood

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Musta-Eyolf-Pedes, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Mar 14, 2016 #1

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Last night around 4am Newton broke one of the toenails on his right front foot. I don't know how exactly, as I only noticed it after noticing drops of blood on his bedding. It's clearly broken near the base and is hanging loosely (or so it appears; I'm afraid to mess with it at the moment). The bleeding was very light and brief but he's a digger and I don't want him to exacerbate it.

He seems fine. He's active, eating, binkying is putting weight on the foot and digging as usual. Should I just leave it and see if it falls off on its own or should I take him somewhere to have it clipped?

Admittedly it's my fault, I haven't managed to get his nails trimmed at all. I can't seem to get either of the rabbits to sit still for it no matter the techniques suggested to me. I do know someone I can take them to but he trances his rabbits for grooming...

IMG_20160313_070352975.jpg

IMG_20160313_070400057.jpg

2. Nov 19, 2017 #2

PrettyBoi

PrettyBoi

PrettyBoi

Kodi

It most likely caused by the nails being too long, yes. Trancing the bunny isn't too bad if it isn't done too frequently. As with the claw, you should make sure it doesn't get infected. If it is broken at the base you should take the bunny to the vet, as they will most likely prescribe an ointment to help prevent infection.

3. Nov 20, 2017 #3

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

Have someone hold them upright on their lap and then cut--my son holds and I clip.