Broken Nail or broken toe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalena2148

Reaction score
Hello. I wanted to ask some people some suggestions, as I have not dealt with this before. Drizzle jumped from his top shelf and caught his foot on the NIC cube. I thought nothing of it until he started to limp around and not put pressure on his left front paw. I took a look and noticed that the pinky toe nail is straight out to the side. Upon inspection, I can either bend the toe or nail at a weird angle. The nail is still attached, but I did see blood down there. Should I cut the nail off? If he actually broke his toe, should I take him to the vet, or is it like a person where there's nothing you can actually do about it? Thanks. :)

EDIT: He is putting some pressure on it, but he is tending to leave it up when he's resting and he's licking it a lot. Right now, he's sitting.

I would take him the vet rather than try to cut that nail off. I doubt if he broke his foot but I would let a vet deal with the nail.
Now this is just my opinion; I have not had this happen with a rabbit. I would be afraid of it being painful for me to mess with the nail myself. It's possible that it will just dry up and fall off but I still would take him to the vet.

angieluv wrote:
I would take him the vet rather than try to cut that nail off. I doubt if he broke his foot but I would let a vet deal with the nail.
Now this is just my opinion; I have not had this happen with a rabbit. I would be afraid of it being painful for me to mess with the nail myself. It's possible that it will just dry up and fall off but I still would take him to the vet.
He somehow managed to get the nail off. I don't know where it is...but he's not bleeding so that's good. I'm going to clean the area and I did ice it for about a half hour. I'll do it again before I go to bed. He's not limping as much. If he's still limping in the morning, I'll take him in.

angieluv wrote:
or even if you could run water over it..... then he wouldn't be licking the betadine.

he's going to be licking it anyway
Yeah, that's a good idea since he has been licking it like crazy.

NZminilops wrote:
Crystal, doesn't Snuffy have a broken toe too? Did you ever get it looked at?

Yes, he does, NZ. I don't think it's a broken toe though.

It doesn't bother him, ever. but, yes. I think it's a nail thing though. Whatever the toe issue is, happened before we got him, which upsets me anyways.:?

He's doing great! So, no, I haven't had it looked at.;)

I think it happened when you got him from pics, remember we investigated once? And looks like a broken/dislocated toe to me, but would be long healed over by now.

Thanks for all the responses!

He looks like he's hopping around ok and putting weight on it, so it must be feeling better. He was probably limping from putting weight on the broke nail

I checked the toe and it doesn't seem to be that swollen so that's good.

Latest posts

Back