Broken hind toe nail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren Kiernan

Reaction score
Last nail clipping I noticed our rabbit had a hind toenail that appeared to have been bitten or broken off short. No bleeding or signs of inflammation or infection. Today when I did his nails I saw that this nail has a dark shield stub growing out of the nail bed. Charlie is a tricolor fawn and blue Holland lop with white nails. The area does not seem inflamed at all. Should I be concerned?

I would keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get infected. And hopefully it just grows back in normally. If there's swelling, infection, or you have any other concerns, best to contact your vet.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
Ok. Thanks. If he will let me, I will get a photo. I am a nurse and it seems clean but this is my first rabbit.

My boy Lucas will occasionally break a nail whilst tearing around the house full speed, which he loves. Sometimes it bothers him, and he'll spend a lot of time chewing at it and flicking said affected foot, but after he did it a few times, dad freaked out and took him to the vet, just to be told "it's just a broken nail, he'll be fine", I've learned to not freak out. His vet is great and awesome with rabbits, it's Lucas' dad who over-reacts.

My story illustrates the fact that he should be fine (barring any infection). It's always a good idea to be wary of rabbit health problems, as they can hide injuries and illnesses as prey animals, but you'll learn your rabbits! Sounds like you're off to the right start!

Latest posts

Back