Broccoli

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bo B Bunny wrote:
cilantro (fresh corriander) is really good for them too. It's stinky until you get used to it. Now I love the smell LOL!

Can't parsley be bad for some reason too? and Kale has some weird thing in it that can build up in their system.

Isn't parsley high in calcium?..i'm not sure buti'm surei remember reading about it when i was looking for a list of veggies that were lower in calcium for my Lulu(rip)when she was having bladder issues a fair bit...someone correct me if i'm wrong

I only feed parsley in moderation now,and then it has to be the continental parsley(flat leaf)

Oh and they all love cos lettuce! :D

Cheryl

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Cheryl, hey hon.

From what I've learned, all those darn greens, the collards, mustards and such are high in calcuim, including Kale. I used to feed them alot before I knew that.:shock:
ohh ok thanks Crystal :)

tonyshuman wrote:
luckily, tony has a tough tummy (once ate ~20 buttons off my remote with no ill effects during shedding season, likes to eat my leather goods so i have to hide them, ate a lot of my cable cord once, etc)

:faint::laughsmiley: What a turd!!!

I always forget the word (oxalates) for what builds up. I'm really not a dumb person, but I can't seem to remember stuff like I used to!!! lol!

Many people don't worry about the calcium content unless there is an issue, but I say why push it? I always have tried to keep it low. I might feed a high calcium item but only one day and not for a long time again. Like I might go get some collard greens and everyone gets a serving. Then I toss the rest outside for the bunnies and anything else that might come along that likes them.

I gave Bo and Clover baby Bok Choy one time and I thought they'd tear down the cages and attack for more!!

It's kind of frustrating to me that all the bunny safe veggie lists seem to have slightly different information on them, as far as which veggies are high in calcium, which cause gas, which you can feed often and which should just be occasional. It seems like the majority have some negative thing attached to them, but there isn't one web site that says all of them! I read you're supposed to feed at least two leafy greens every day, but it's difficult when it seems like the vast majority of greens need to be limited! Heck, based on what I've read in this thread, it seems like lettuce is the only type of leafy green you can feed without worrying about gas or excess calcium. I do rotate between types of lettuce (romaine one week, then red leaf, then green leaf), but I'd like to have some other "safe" green that he can have every day or every other day that doesn't cost a ton and is reliably found.

At the moment, I have in the fridge for Rory romaine lettuce, mustard greens, carrot tops, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber and celery, and then I have dill, cilantro, parsley, and two kinds of basil growing in my little herb garden (it's an AeroGarden and has been growing since July, the plants are almost spent now). The past few days, I have been giving him an entire stalk of celery sliced thinly as part of his salad. Do you think that's too much celery?

These are the veggies that Rory has had and approves of:
-mustard greens
-collard greens
-romaine
-red leaf lettuce
-green leaf lettuce
-carrot tops
-carrots
-celery and leaves
-broccoli, including stems
-cauliflower, including stems
-cucumber
-parsley
-dill
-regular and purple basil
-watercress
-pear
-apple
-banana

He doesn't like tomatoes, pumpkin or zucchini.

Latest posts

Back