Broccoli

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
So I usually don't give the bunnies much in the way of gassy greens but I was fixing some broccoli tonight and gave them each a small stem with a little crown on it.

They've had a couple of broccoli leaves before but never really the plant/crown.

OMG Bo inhaled his! It was like he had been given the best treat ever!

I hope it doesn't give him gas.

Have any of you had trouble with it?

I give it to Buttercup, Wilbur & Jackie, they are like yours the woof it down. It doesn't seem to bother them (touch wood {I touched my head}).

Susan:apollo:

LOL! wooden head?!

Well, I hope it is good for Bo - he was really angry with me cause Tony was out playing and he actually SAW him. :X Usually he can't see him even if he hears him. He saw me CARRYING Tony!!! :shock:

So now maybe Bo loves me again LOL!

I used to give my bunnies broccoli,but stopped a couple of years ago,because my Jack got very sick from it....it gave him bad gas,and it also gave Sunshine bad gas,so i just never fed it ever since.

But a few of my other bunnies were ok when they ate it though

Cheryl

DId you give them a lot each time? or frequently?

I hardly ever give stuff like this. My bunnies think Cilantro is about the only green I believe in LOL!

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Pebbles and Bebe gets a small crown three times a week.
They are high in calcium.

Hmmmm... I don't think they're that high. They're part of the Brassicaceae family, includesBrussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, too.

Main problem is they CAN be gassy. All of my guys are good with all of the above, although I know that when I screwed up and gave everybunny a ton of all of the above in one meal, a few were pretty darn quiet the rest of the day, so I'm sure they felt the effects.

But pretty sure they're only in the middle of the pack in the calcium count, I'll have to check that. (And honestly, calcium in veggies isn't much of an issue unless you already have a sludgybunny). :)

(And Dill can't eat cilantro without getting BAD BAD BAD gas, so you never can tell!)

PS:pipp won't eatbroccoli crowns (I think she found arotted bit once, she's left them ever since, but LOVES theleaf andstems, and Dill loves the crowns and leave the stems. They're in collusion). ;)

sas :bunnybutt:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
DId you give them a lot each time? or frequently?

No,i just gave them a little piece each...but Jack and Sunny paid the price for it,poor little things,but the others had no problem with it..so i suppose it just depends on the bunny itself...just like people i suppose,some foods affect people more than others.

That was when i decided i will just leave it out of their diet

Cheryl

I've given it on the odd occassion to my bunnies over the years, maybe 5 times tops in 10 years? So not that often. I've never had anything bad happen that I know of, except my mum used to get angry at me for feeding them things meant for the human dinners.

LOL!

I think Bo is sensitive to Calcium so I always watch how much I let him have. Not that he's sludgy but he's had red pee so I do keep things lower for him. Clover too actually.

bo is also sensitive to gassy stuff but in moderation does well. He sure liked that broccoli and seems fine right now. I won't be giving it a lot but it was nice to give them something different for a change. I also LOVE to give them part of what we are having. They look so pitiful watching me make dinner. The room they are in has a huge archway door to my kitchen.... it's nice cause I can interact with them while I'm in there also! but they sure know if a cabinet door is opened (especially the cereal aka oatsie door!!!) or if someone happens to need something out of the fridge (aka TWEATS!) you see ears and eyes from the other room! LOL!

I guess everybun is different so the best is to test slowly and not overdo it. Kinda like us, we also react very differently to foods. I have given some very rarely to mine but it wasn't a favorite. Although Dahlia is not as picky now so I will have to retry it. The problem is I love the stem raw myself :p

Bo seems fine this morning! He ate ALL of his hay last night which is really good! and has pellets now and is devouring those! lol!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Have any of you had trouble with it?
Scone just loves broccoli. I give him the crowns from a stalk over a period of days, and then he gets the last crown and the stem together. It usually takes him a day or two to work his way through the stem, but he enjoys every bit.

I would have thought it would give bo gas but it sure didn't!

Now, romaine can give him soft poos, but that's about it. I still have no idea what gave him trouble a couple of weeks ago.

I know he's a happy camper now..... even on his little diet. he's eating tons of hay which I'm thrilled with and has lost a bit of weight and seems to feel better!

I give my buns Broccoli all the time and never have had a problem. i thought i had 1 that got gas from it but to be perfectly honest she had lost her partner a couple of weeks before and i think that when the grief hit her she stopped eating. So no never had probs and all my buns love it Esp. my brood does

I've never given mine broccoli. If I were to add it to their diet how little should I give them, if any at all? Are they missing anything important by not having it?

Start off with just a tiny bit -- a few mouthfuls -- and increase it slowly. Watch for discomfort and/or a gurgling tummy. (Or little gassy butt lifts). ;)

I balance mine with how much other stuff they're getting from the same family -- if I've got a lot of kale, cabbage, cauliflower or Brussels sprouts, I won't give too much broccoli, but it it's mostlylettuce, parsley, chard, carrotsandcarrot tops,I'll give them more.

If I have a big single 'stick' of broccoli with multiple florets,Pipp gets a four to six inch upper single stalk with the tip cut off.Dill and Sherry geta couple of single crowns/florets each. (One actually loves broccoli, the other cauliflower, but I never remember which is which).

The foster bunnies get the main lower stalks cut up in buttons, and the backroom coupleget the upper stalks cut up in buttons. (Sort of the pecking order around here). They'll also splitthe leftover crowns.

I don't think I'dcut up more than two big stalks between the eight bunnies.

But I'm also giving mine a HUGE variety -- at least five types of veggies per meal.

Ialways try and give my guys a variety -- one or two fromthe cabbage/broccoli family, some leafy greens like chard,lettuce or beet greens, some leafy stemmy things (the favs) like parsley, dill or carrot tops, and a non-green -- which is tough, it usually ends up being red cabbage,carrots or cauliflower. Only the foster bunnies will eat oddball stuff like yellow peppers, radishes and tomatoes.

I try and regulatepotential Vitamin A (beet greens, carrot tops) or oxalatesOD items like kale (which they LOVE) and spinach (which nobody likes much, anyway).

I shy totally away fromcollards or mustard greens, which are very high incalcium oxalates and aren't that popular, anyway.

sas :bunnydance:

edited for ATROCIOUS spelling!

After reading your post, PIPP, I feel as if I am a horrible bunny mom.

I used to give the bunnies a salad each night - usually romaine, cilantro and a bite of something else like kale.

With butt problems for Bo I cut that back. I eliminated it for awhile but I saw they were really missing their salads..... now they get a nip of something here and there.

*sigh* I really want to give them salads but I don't think Bo can handle it all the time.

Latest posts

Back