Breeding to reduce cancer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cove

Reaction score
Surfing Kijiji and Craigslist as I usually do (mostly to help educate some people and to offer assistance) I came across this ad.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-Rabbit-breeding-W0QQAdIdZ86035897

"Hello,

I currently own a purebred holland lop doe from a reputable breeder and I have the papers to prove it. I would like to breed her just once to reduce the risk of ovarian cancer in my female lop. I was hoping to find a reputable breeder who would be generous enough to allow me to bring my doe to get bred.
I am open to suggestions and advice as well please contact me at [email protected]"

Now being fairly new to rabbits I don't know if this whole "breeding reduces cancer" thing is truth or not. I have a firm feeling it's crock, like when people are told breeding your dog or cat once will help it calm down ect. I'm half tempted to give her some enlightenment but again... I'm new to the bunny world so I don't know...

I agree 100% with Dawn and unless someone can show research that proves otherwise, I'm confident saying it's not true. ;)

I figured as much. I just don't understand why people believe in this sort of crock. You'd think the breeder she got her rabbit from would have said something about it when she first got the rabbit.

Craigslist and Kijiji are dangerous places for pets. :(

Well I sent her some infoso hopefully she changes her mind and just gets the rabbit spayed instead.

ive actually been told by abbies breeder especially with EL it does help reduce the chances of cancer if bred by 8mos of age. Not sure if its true or not.. we had the girls spayed to eliminate the chance of cancer.

I really highly doubt having a litter reduces cancer of the uterus. I don't think having children reduces the risk to woman getting cancer. It sure doesn't reduce the risk of female rats.

Plus, the doe getting cancer is just as dangerous as her having a litter. What is this lady going to do if she needs to fork out hundreds for complications due to birth?
What if this lady chooses a male too large? What if the lines have genetic defaults? What about the babies who may end up in shelters or sitting alone uncared for in someone's back yard?

:sad:

ADEE wrote:
ive actually been told by abbies breeder especially with EL it does help reduce the chances of cancer if bred by 8mos of age. Not sure if its true or not.. we had the girls spayed to eliminate the chance of cancer.

How can one get uterine cancer when they have been spayed? Impossible. So I don’t see how that can be a worry. If the rabbit is spayed the risk is 0% Other cancers might still have a risk factor but not uterine cancer.

I mentioned all that to her undergunfire. And the fact that if she helped create them she is responsible for them should the new owners no longer be able to keep them or to at least (if she can't take them back) help find them new homes. If she has to give them toa rescue then she should at least volunteer at this rescue ect.

I just hope she rethinks it...

Thats why I said "we had our girls spayed to eliminate the possibility of cancer" I didnt say it reduced the chances. I hope the person reconsiders their choice to breed their rabbit, Lord knows we have enough over population already.

Back