Breeding question....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoecat6

Reaction score
What is the earliest age that rabbits can breed,as I am hearing conflicting information. My doe sweetpea isgoing in to be spayed at 4 months of age in 3 weeks. I have 2young himalayan males that I purchased believing to be females and havehad a rude awakening ( I should have known that you can't acurately sexa 4 week old baby:X), which are now 8 1/2 weeks old. Is thereany possibility that they can breed with sweetpea?And afterthe female is spayed will the male quit trying even if he still isn'tspayed because he isn't old enought yet. The last couple ofdays there has been some circling and today I had to separate a knockdown drag out fight with the himalayan screaming (first experience withhearing a rabbit scream and do not hope to repeat that experience!!!)and am wondering if this is the start of breeding behavior.My 7 rabbits are not caged and am wondering if that will have to changeuntil everyone is fixed, until today I haven't had anyproblems. I know I am rambling but my heart is still thuddingfrom hearing that awful scream.Here are the little beasties inquestion...

sp-04-19-05.jpg

DSC03974.jpg

OMG SweetPea is adorable!! Fine lookin boys there too!! Sorry I don't know the answers to your ?'s, but nice bunnies!

Yes, I got them at a LPS at 4 weeks old. I also purchased sweetpea at that same pet store when she was 4 1/2 weeks old.
Also I have no intention on breeding them at all, that is why I am asking these questions:D

Risking being calleda jerk again , Whatyou need to do is keepthem seperated , either with a gateor set them up in cages tillafter all are altered ,Your going to continue having issuesotherwise , the males alone are goingto start fighting like crazy,trying to establish dominence , Not only willthis create a problem if theDoe gets bred but thehigh cost of Vetting whomever gets cut scratched orinfection sets into . yourchoiceof course , b utI would sepersate them till all alteringis finished and then fora good 2 weeks after.

YOUR BOYS ARE BEAUTIFULL!! AND YOUR LOVELYLITTLE GIRL!! How cute! Sorry can't help. Other than have hadexperience with fighting males and it is not pretty.

I agree that I am going to have to separatethem, but am still curious on how early of an age they can breed at.Can a male breed a doe at 8 weeks of age???

zoecat6 wrote:
Iagree that I am going to have to separate them, but am still curious onhow early of an age they can breed at. Can a male breed a doe at 8weeks of age???

Have never heard of thembreeding that early. Trying, yes,succeeding, no....did the boys "mature" yet? (should be, um, obvious onthe underside, lol)

I've always heard 12 wks. minimum, and I kept my males and femalestogether for 9 wks. with no problems. My "pick of the litter" from thatgroup hit maturity right at 3 mo. Very obvious "boy parts".:p

Sounds like you're ok so far, but not for long! They grow up fast.

Rose

Latest posts

Back