Breeding question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
O.K. I am getting a male and female american fuzzy lop pair in february. And it is possible that they may be half brother and sister they would share the same father would it be alright to breed them? It's not set in concrete that they will be related it's just a possibility. But if they are half brother and sister sharing the same father is it ok to breed them together? Experianced breeders help really needed!

I don't know much about inbreeding (or is considered linebreeding? can't remember) other than that I wouldn't do it unless you were super experienced with breeding and genetics and all that jazz.

Is it possible for you to get AFL's that aren't related to each other?

Emily

I've only been breeding for a little over a year, but I am always asking advice of a breeder who has been doing it for over thirty years. She has told me that breeding a father to daughter or a mother to a son is safe line breeding. She has told me to keep away from breeding siblings or even half siblings as the possibility of genetic problems is greatly improved with this close of DNA.

I'd encourage you to find two non-related fuzzies if your intention is breeding them. You may also want to pick a AFL doe and a Holland buck to mate. My AFL's mom is an AFL, but her dad is a Holland. It has kept her a bit smaller for showing. In her litter she was the only AFL and the rest came out as Hollands. All of them were gorgeous and compact, so it proved to be a good combination.

I looked it up and it said that it can produce defects further down the line.

It all depends on the rabbits. Is the father a fine example of his breed? Are the two sibling also very nice? Line breeding will bring out the best in rabbits and the worst. If there are genetic issues with the line then they could pop up. I have never bred full siblings.

I will occasionally breed 1/2 siblings if the lines of the mothers are toally different. I bred two half siblings this summer and got two wonderful show prospects out of them. They picked up the best attributes of both parents and look like their GC grandsire. I will not use these rabbits for linebreeding though. I will outcross them and maybe bring their kidsback to the original line.

Roger

Personally, I would say no way...It can lead to deformities down the line and doesnt sound all that good for the animals health.

I think Roger covers this one fairly well.

If they were both nice rabbits with an exceptional parent in common (taking into account there isn't any health issues in the line to start with) I would probably go ahead with it. Otherwise I'd pass and pickup rabbits that weren't so closely related.

That's just me.

So people think I should base it on the father (family in common) if he has good health? And if he's healthy i'm ok to breed?

I would just really try to get some less related rabbits to start your breeding program. If you were buying these to go along with other rabbits in your program, it would be different.

Roger puts it very well but for you starting our breeding Iwoud suggest it would be eaiser for you if they were not related. Roger obviously knows his lines very well which is the best thing you can do but as you are bringing them in you will not know how the line has progressed the same.

Best thing try for less related rabbits if you bred them and got a really bad fault or genetic issue you would be so mad especially as its not easy for you to get rabbits over there ;)

Thanks I rang the breeder today and he said he will be getting another female so they shouldn't be related. But do you think half related would be ok? I am still abit confused though if he meant that the new female will completely stop the male and femalebeing related or would they only be half. If there half I will prob look at his line. hopefully they won't be related. But if there halfs I will more then likely get them.

I bred Flemish Giants for 7 years. Itook a5 year break from rabbits, but now imgetting back into it again. Anyway,In that 7 yeartime periodI would breed Mother to Son and Father to Daugher. I never had any problems, if anything I had wonderful show rabbits that did very well at show. I dont thinkI would breed siblings, or even half siblings...it just seems too risky.You have to do whatever is comfortable to you.

gingers_giants wrote:
I bred Flemish Giants for 7 years. Itook a5 year break from rabbits, but now imgetting back into it again. Anyway,In that 7 yeartime periodI would breed Mother to Son and Father to Daugher. I never had any problems, if anything I had wonderful show rabbits that did very well at show. I dont thinkI would breed siblings, or even half siblings...it just seems too risky.You have to do whatever is comfortable to you.
Well I will really have to think about it. I will see what I can find? But I sayI will end up buying from this person.

You can ask to look at the pedigrees before you purchase the animals. In this situation..whats what I would do. Look at their bloodline and see how closely related they are before buying. Worse comes to worse..you could always buy from someone else.

gingers_giants wrote:
You can ask to look at the pedigrees before you purchase the animals. In this situation..whats what I would do. Look at their bloodline and see how closely related they are before buying. Worse comes to worse..you could always buy from someone else.
We don't really do papers over here in Ireland and he is the best breeder for americans in Ireland there is only two of them. But I will ask him about the lines.

Yeah, Maybe its best just to ask. I wasnt aware that they didnt do papers in Ireland..see ya learn something new everyday :D I am sorry that I wasnt more help though. :(

gingers_giants wrote:
Yeah, Maybe its best just to ask. I wasnt aware that they didnt do papers in Ireland..see ya learn something new everyday :D I am sorry that I wasnt more help though. :(
Could you explain genetics to me?

What do you want to know? Ill try my best to explain it...Also, i knowhere in america im pretty sure there is a specialty club for that breed and if you could find that site, then that could also provide info about genetics.

Latest posts

Back