Breeding program

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That I's good to know. I think the breeder was saying that if you keep your rabbitry with young rabbits they will produce better I guess it really depends on each rabbit. If one of my does and bucks are making great kits I will not retire her tell she stop producing nice Dutch's or having smaller litters. Thanks again all this great advise and your guys experience I's really helping me.

Sorry for so many comments my mind I's alway full of question and ideas

SNM wrote:
djluster wrote:
Yes it 50 points for marking. 10 for Fur,10 for color and 5 for condition and last 25 for type. So if they pull to much hair they may not look as good. I know last weekend I saw some great marked dutch' but didnt have type to get past the ones with beter type but not perfect markings. I still have tons to learn That just what I heard I's there show life I's not long. I was Also told don't keep does much past 2 years old in my rabbitry once they hit two find them a good forever home.

That is the biggest myth ever. Does can be used for at least 4 years, especially if they throw fabulous litters. I know a lady who's buck just died, she was still using him at 9 years old!!!!!!

Exactly. If you have lines that are essentially 'useless' at 2 years you mine as well throw them out. Some animals look better as they age, a lot of fuzzies do, some go down hill. I've a fuzzy buck who is 3 and he's seen his day. Still an excellent breeder. A Harlequin buck I got to barrow he was born in 2003. His body had seen better days lol, but he was still producing.

Just don't over breed or under breed.

and NOTHING can beat an expericed brood doe. at 2 she's just getting started. I'd rather have a bunch of 3 year old ssitting in my barn who know what to do, then dealing with first timers.

you live and learn and figure out what works for you. and ask as many questions as you want, its what we're here for.

I always go easy on my doe if it's her first litter--usually I re-breed at 10 weeks because the first time usually hits them pretty hard and if they are good Moms, they go all out and need a bit longer to come back into good form.
But after that most breeders rebreed at 6-8 weeks. Our does can be really finicky sometimes though and if they don't take then it throws off the whole schedule. I try to keep everyone in rotation though so that it's fair and one or two does aren't bearing the brunt of production.

Latest posts

Back