Breeding Lion head with others

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keforce

Reaction score
I would appreciate any inputs from you all.

Is it ok to breed a male lion head with female: new zealand, checkered giant, or flemish giant? What are some considerations? I have the listed different types of does.

I would like to try breeding the male lion head with the other types.

Thanks

What is your reason for wanting to breed? There are RO members here who are breeding responsibly and are doing so to improve a particular breed. You are not talking about improving any breed since you will be creating bunny mutts (mixed breeds).

Are you planning on selling the babies? Keeping them all? I'm just not understanding the reason to breed in this manner.

I totally agree with the above. It's best to not breed if you aren't doing it for the right reasons. Breeding is not as easy as you would think and there is no money to be made in it. Shelters do not need more mixed breed bunnies and neither do people's environments (some people end up finding out they dont want a rabbit they thought was cute when it was a baby and will release it to the wild.. Bad idea).

Irresponsible breeding also gives those who are good breeders and responsible (like me) a bad rap

Yea, I'm trying to understand why you want to do this. With those combinations, I can't really visualize anything cute anyway.

what does it matter why?

If she's finding a way to make use of the babies then it doesn't matter. What matters is the question.

A large breed lion head with a proper mane is a gorgeous animal.

You can breed whatever rabbit you want to whatever rabbit you want.

You need to consider the following
1. can you find use for the offspring? Not dumping them or letting them go. but new homes OR a good use for them.
2. are the rabbits you want to breed healthy? No teeth or health or behaviour issues.
3. what will you do if you CAN"T find good use for the resultant babies?
4. you need to breed small buck to big doe NOT vice versa.

what does it matter why?

If she's finding a way to make use of the babies then it doesn't matter. What matters is the question.

I believe you answered you own question...

.... you are correct that it doesn't matter why, if she's finding a way to make use of the babies.

The others of us were trying to ascertain the purpose, ie. the use of the babies.
Like you, we are just trying to see if all things are being considered. :)

i guess I should add this... breeding a tiny breed buck to a much larger breed doe is a good way to have a good laugh. :)

Latest posts

Back